Thursday, September 10, 2026

French Canadian Meatball Stew #EattheWorld

Tender, lightly spiced pork meatballs and potatoes in a savory, toasted-flour gravy, known in Quebec as Ragu de Boulettes, are a traditional French-Canadian dish.

French Canadian Meatball Stew

This is the 100th month of our Eat the World challenge, and we thought we would celebrate by choosing a dish from our country of heritage instead of cooking from the same country as usual.

Eat the World Logo

I am anxious to see what dishes our group brings to the table to represent their heritage.  My mother was Swedish on her father's side and Czechoslovakian on her mother's side.  My father was French Canadian on his father's side and German on his mother's side.

The only grandparent I knew growing up was my mother's mother, my Grandma Trombley.  She was an amazing lady and a wonderful cook.  I have shared my memories and her recipes in past posts, including her Raisin Bread and Blueberry Pie

For this celebration, I decided to pay homage to my French Canadian ancestry.  I didn't know my father's side of the family very well, except for his brother, Dick, with whom we spent a lot of time.   My grandparents and two other uncles were gone before I was old enough to know them.  I do remember a trip to Canada with my parents where I met some cousins, but I was young and don't remember much.

Let's look at what the others are sharing from their heritage today...


French Canadian Meatball Stew pin

This stew, flavored with warm spices and drenched in a smooth, savory gravy, is comfort food at its finest.



Entrees, Pork, Stew, Meatballs, Gravy
Entrees, Pork
Quebecoise
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
French Canadian Meatball Stew

French Canadian Meatball Stew

Tender, lightly spiced pork meatballs and potatoes in a savory, toasted-flour gravy, known in Quebec as Ragu de Boulettes, are a traditional French-Canadian dish.


Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 45 MinTotal time: 1 Hour

Ingredients

  • 6 T. flour
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 t. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 t. ground cloves
  • 1 T. savory
  • 1 lb. ground pork
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 c. dry bread crumbs
  • 4 c. chicken broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 T. cold water
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed

Instructions

  1. Heat a skillet (cast iron if you have it) over medium-high heat. Add the flour to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until the flour is lightly browned. Remove to a shallow bowl and set aside.
  2. Mix the onion, pork, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, egg, savory, salt, pepper, and breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Form into 1" meatballs and dredge in the browned flour. Set aside, reserving the remaining flour.
  3. Place the chicken broth and bay leaf into a large pot or Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs, stirring to prevent them from sticking; reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
  4. Add the potatoes and simmer for 20 more minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
  5. Whisk together 2 Tablespoons of the reserved flour with 2 Tablespoons of cold water. Stir into the meatballs and cook until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency, adding a little water if it thickens too much.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Allrecipes.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

573

Fat (grams)

26 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

10 g

Carbs (grams)

55 g

Fiber (grams)

6 g

Net carbs

48 g

Sugar (grams)

4 g

Protein (grams)

29 g

Sodium (milligrams)

1064 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

127 mg

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I thought I had tried every meatball recipe on the planet (only slightly kidding!) and I have never seen these. Will be putting this on the menu soon.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.