This hearty, filling chowder, made with leftover rotisserie chicken and leftover corn on the cob, is a perfect way to welcome the fall weather as it finally makes its way into Michigan.
Last Saturday, we enjoyed our last hurrah in the pool for the season. The Angel Face and her parents were here: Aunt Amy and Uncle Doug, Little Miss and Mr. M, and their mama joined in the fun, too.
The sun was shining, the pool was sparkling, the ribs were smoking, and the chicken was on the rotisserie. We swam and visited for several hours before heading inside to enjoy dinner. Along with the chicken and ribs, I made mac and cheese in the slow cooker, a couple of salads, and corn on the cob.
When I planned dinner, I hoped the girls would be home, but they both had to work. We also hoped Nicole and Pierre could join us, but they had already made plans with friends.
Needless to say, I had lots of leftovers. This was fine because Larry and Mary were arriving from California for our nephew's wedding and would be staying here. The ribs became pulled pork, which I used to make sandwiches, served with the leftover salads.
I put the chicken carcasses in a stock pot, which gave me a full gallon of broth when it was done. I cleaned the meat from the carcasses and leftover chicken pieces and ended up with about 4 cups. I also had 4 ears of corn left that I cut from the cob.
I used 12 cups of this broth to make chicken noodle soup. I turned the remaining broth, chicken, and corn into this delicious Chicken and Corn chowder that I am sharing with you today.
While I was busy in the kitchen anyway and had 5 lbs of tomatoes on my counter from my generous neighbor, I made a batch of my Farmstand Marinara to use for my lasagna tomorrow.
I adapted my Corn Chowder recipe to include chicken, removing the jalapeno and using chicken broth instead of water. I also made a double batch so I could have dinner ready for Larry and Mary, who arrived on Thursday while we were at the rehearsal dinner.

Chicken and Corn Chowder
This hearty, filling chowder, made with leftover rotisserie chicken and leftover corn on the cob, is a perfect way to welcome the fall weather as it finally makes its way into Michigan.
Ingredients
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 carrot, scraped and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2-3 russet potatoes, diced
- 1/2 stick butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 2 cans evaporated milk
- 1 t. dried thyme
- 2 t. dried basil
- kernels from 4 ears of corn
- 2-3 c. chopped or shredded, cooked chicken, I used leftovers
Instructions
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the evaporated milk, basil, and thyme. Stir in the chicken and corn, and simmer for another 30 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
Nutrition Facts
Calories
233Fat (grams)
11 gSat. Fat (grams)
6 gCarbs (grams)
21 gFiber (grams)
2 gNet carbs
20 gSugar (grams)
9 gProtein (grams)
14 gSodium (milligrams)
435 mgCholesterol (grams)
51 mg



No comments:
Post a Comment
I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.