Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Ham and Cheese Stuffed Bread #BreadBakers

I served these rolls, stuffed with ham and provolone, with bowls of Norwegian Fish Chowder, known as Fiskesuppe, for dinner one night and the remainder for breakfast the following day.  They would also make a great lunchbox meal.

Ham stuffed Bun

The Bread Bakers are serving up Stuffed Buns today........



BreadBakers logo

Radha of Magical Ingredients is hosting today and invited us to stuff some buns and share the recipe.  Let's see what was baked up.......

buns and bread

I made a simple white bread recipe, divided the dough, and used half to make these delicious ham-and-cheese stuffed buns.

ham stuffed buns

I put a schmear of Dijon Mustard on each portion.  My rolls were smaller, so I used 1/2 a piece of Black Forest Deli Ham and 1/4 a piece of Provolone on each.  You could make them larger; just increase the amount of filling.  

ham and cheese stuffed buns

I am sharing a bread recipe with you today.  This is an easy dough to make, and the loaf of bread was delicious toasted with a schmear of butter and jam.  Feel free to use your favorite bread dough recipe if you prefer.  

Ham and cheese pin

I brushed mine with egg wash and sprinkled on some sesame seeds.  If you want to make a double batch and use the second half of the dough, you will find that they freeze well.









Yield: 16 Rolls
Author: Wendy Klik
Ham and Cheese Stuffed Rolls

Ham and Cheese Stuffed Rolls

Tender, light, airy rolls wrapped around ham and cheese before being baked to a golden, delicious brown.

Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 12 MinInactive time: 3 HourTotal time: 3 H & 27 M

Ingredients

  • 1 1/3 c. warm milk (I used low-fat) (105-110*)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 1/4 t. Instant Active yeast
  • 1 T. sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 4 c. bread flour
  • 4 T. butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 t. olive oil
  • Dijon mustard, if desired
  • 8 Deli Ham slices (I used Black Forest)
  • 4 slices Provolone cheese, or cheese of choice
  • egg wash and sesame seeds, if desired

Instructions

  1. Place the warm milk, yeast, sugar, butter and eggs into a 4 c. measuring cup. Stir to combine. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
  2. Measure the flour and salt into the large bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the dough hook. Add the yeast mixture and mix on low until combined. Increase the speed to medium and knead for 10 minutes, until soft and shiny.
  3. Remove from the bowl and shape into a ball. Spray or brush the bowl with olive oil. Add the dough ball, flipping to cover with the oil, and ending up with the seam side down. Cover with a warm, damp towel and let rise for 1-2 hours, until doubled in size.
  4. Punch down the dough, and divide into 16 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
  5. Press and pat each ball into a round. Add a schmear of mustard, if desired, then place 1/2 piece of ham, folded into a quarter, and 1/4 piece of cheese in the center of each. Fold each side into the center, covering the filling and pinching the dough together to seal.
  6. Place seam side down onto baking sheets. Cover with a warm damp towel and let proof for 30-60 minutes.
  7. If desired, whisk an egg and brush over the tops and sprinkle with sesame seeds
  8. Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 10-12 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool for at least 5 minutes before eating. Can be enjoyed warm, room temperature, or cold.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

215

Fat (grams)

8 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

4 g

Carbs (grams)

25 g

Fiber (grams)

1 g

Net carbs

24 g

Sugar (grams)

2 g

Protein (grams)

9 g

Sodium (milligrams)

242 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

32 mg

5 comments:

  1. This must be comfort food and this would go with any soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These buns are hearty, comforting and perfect for lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool are these! I bet they’d be great straight from the freezer packed in school lunches, secretly thawing all morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't see your comment until after I posted mine, Karen, but I thought exactly the same. I'd have been thrilled with one of these in my lunch box!

      Delete
  4. The swipe of Dijon is an excellent addition to your ham and cheese buns. Perfect to accompany soup or for tucking into a lunch box, especially since they freeze well.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.