Sunday, August 18, 2024

Find Me Falling for Melitzanosalata #SundayFunday #MoviesandMunchies

Melitzanosalata is a Greek Eggplant Dip similar to baba ghanoush but flavored with kalamata olives and lemon instead of tahini for a brighter taste perfect for a summertime pool gathering.

Melitzanosalata with Veggies

The Sunday Funday Bloggers are making recipes featuring Eggplant today.....
Sunday Funday Logo
Sue of Palatable Pastime is hosting today.  When I first read the invitation I was going to make a traditional Baba Ghanoush since I have only shared a White Chocolate Baba Ghannouj (multiple spellings) in the past.

Melitzanosalata

But then, after watching our Movies and Munchies film this month, I decided to make Melitzanosalata instead.  The only problem I have with this dish is its name.  I am not sure exactly how it is pronounced but every time I pronounce it, I either hear the start of Hatuna Matata or the refrain of the Pina Colada song in my head. The earworm sticks with me all day long. But I digress....Back to Sunday Funday and Movies and Munchies.

Find Me Falling

Find Me Falling is a Love Story starring Harry Connick Jr as a rock star who retreats to a home on the cliffs of Cypress after a failed come-back album.  

This Netflix Original Movie was chosen by Camilla of Culinary Cam who is hosting this monthly event where we all watch the same film and share a recipe it inspired.  It also stars Agni Scott as an old flame and Ali Fumiko Whitney as her daughter.

The movie begins with John (Connick) witnessing a suicide as a man jumps from the cliff in front of his house.  When the police arrive John is informed that the property on which he lives is a suicide hotspot.

John meets with the police officer and the mother of the suicide victim in a local tavern where Melina (Whitney) is singing.  John recognizes her as the person who had delivered food to his home.  While at the tavern, John is introduced to a table of locals, including Sia (Scott) who he recognizes as a woman he dated in the past, however, Sia denies knowing him.

It is a tender, touching movie and a good way to enjoy a Sunday Funday.  You might want to make up a batch of this dip to enjoy with pita crackers while you watch.  Should you decide to watch the film and are inspired to make a recipe to share on your blog (or on Instagram if you are not a blogger) leave a comment below letting me know and I will invite you to join our Facebook Page.

Now here is another aside....I always thought that Cyprus was a Greek Island until I was researching for this post.  Believing it was part of Greece, I made a Greek recipe with Eggplant for Sunday Funday.  When I learned that Cyprus is a stand-alone country in the Middle East, I laughed because I could have just stuck with my first idea of sharing a recipe for Baba Ghanoush.  

Melitzanosalata pin

I'm not sorry that I am geographically challenged though because I am happy to have found this delicious alternative and can share the warm, toasty flavors of Baba Ghanoush with you when the weather cools.

Stop by and see what Eggplant recipes the others are sharing today.......



Appetizers, Dips, Eggplant,
Appetizers
Greek
Yield: 2 cups
Author: Wendy Klik
Melitizanosalata

Melitizanosalata

Melitzanosalata is a Greek Eggplant Dip similar to baba ghanoush but flavored with kalamata olives and lemon instead of tahini for a brighter taste perfect for a summertime pool gathering.
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 1 HourInactive time: 2 HourTotal time: 3 H & 15 M

Ingredients

  • 2 eggplants
  • 1/2 small Vidalia onion, cut into chunks
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 6 Kalamata olives, pitted
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 c. olive oil

Instructions

  1. Poke the eggplant with a fork and place it on a baking sheet lined with foil. Roast in a preheated 425* oven for 45 minutes to an hour until easily pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
  2. When cool enough to handle, remove the stems from the eggplant and cut in half. Peel the skins off of the eggplant and scrape away most of the seeds.
  3. Place the onion and garlic into a food processor and pulse until minced.
  4. Add the olives, eggplant, salt, pepper, and olive oil and pulse to combine. With the food processor running drizzle in the olive oil until it is the consistency of hummus, using more or less oil, as needed.
  5. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Refrigerate for at least 2 hrs and up to 24 hrs before serving.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found in It's All Greek To Me

Nutrition Facts

Calories

407.07

Fat (grams)

29.79 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

4.13 g

Carbs (grams)

36.16 g

Fiber (grams)

15.02 g

Net carbs

21.15 g

Sugar (grams)

20.82 g

Protein (grams)

5.62 g

Sodium (milligrams)

301.32 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

0 mg

10 comments:

  1. I'm only familiar with baba ganooj. I love this eggplant dip with the olives instead. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. I will wait till my olive hater goes back to college, then I will make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so intriguing with the olives. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, I watched the movie a couple of days ago and loved it. However, at that time didn't have your melitzanosalata recipe at hand. But this recipe is going to be handy as next weekend I have guests over. Like that I can make it a day ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mayuri. If you feel inspired to make a dish inspired by the movie, make sure you post it on our group page so that we can include you in the roundup.

      Delete
  5. Interesting dish with olives, thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.