Friday, August 16, 2024

Herbs de Provence Chicken, A Book Review and the Weekly Menu

 I just finished How the Light Gets In, the ninth in the Inspector Gamache series to which I am completely hooked.  

How the Light Gets In

This series just keeps getting better and better. A lot occurred in-between the last book I had read and this.  That is because I missed Book 8, The Beautiful Mystery.  I don't know how I managed that but now that I have read Book 9, I don't think I will go back to read number eight.

How the Light gets in starts with Myrna contacting Gamache regarding a friend who was expected to visit and never shows up. This brings Gamache, who has been struggling with his career, back to Three Pines sans his side-kick and right-hand man, Beauvior who has been reassigned along with the rest of Gamache's unit.

I normally only listen to my audiobooks when walking or driving, however, this book had me lying in bed listening instead of reading my other selection as I usually do each evening.

I don't want to give out any spoilers so suffice it to say that this book is full of twists and turns with a surprise ending leaving me wanting to immediately start Book 10.

Herbs de Provence Chicken

I must have been hungry as I listened to this book because when Gamache smelled Rosemary Chicken cooking I could nearly smell it myself.  I couldn't get that smell or image out of my mind so I decided to make it for dinner. When I began prepping the meal, I found I was out of Rosemary, so I used Herbs de Provence for this recipe.

It was Christmas time in the novel but it is summertime here so my chicken was grilled instead of oven-baked.  I tossed some new potatoes in the same seasonings as the chicken and put them on the grill along with some ears of corn.

The meal was as good as the book and I am happy to share the recipe.  I have downloaded The Long Way Home, the 10th book of the series, and will listen to it tomorrow as Amy and I do the Mammoth March Michigan, a 20-mile hike.

The guys will be waiting for us at the finish line and we will grab dinner somewhere on the way home. On Sunday we are going to the local theater for Fiddler on the Roof and will go out for dinner after the show.

Thursday Frank is taking me to one of my favorite restaurants for my birthday.  My birthday is actually Friday but we like going to this restaurant on Thursdays because there is a singer that we enjoy.

I plan to attend my exercise classes each morning and enjoy the pool each afternoon while we still have warm weather.  Here is what we are eating each day.....

Saturday
Out after Mammoth March

Sunday
Out after Fiddler

Meatless Monday
Spinach Ravioli

Tuesday
Sloppy Joe Cups

Wednesday
Grilled Chicken Breast
Grilled New Potatoes
Summer Squash Medley

Thursday
Our for Birthday Dinner

Fish Friday
BBQ Shrimp
Steamed Rice with Peas



Entrees, Chicken, Grilling
Entrees, Chicken
French
Yield: 2 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Herbs de Provence Chicken

Herbs de Provence Chicken

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs tossed with olive oil seasoned with Herbs de Provence and grilled to a juicy, tender goodness.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 20 MinTotal time: 25 Min

Ingredients

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 t. Herbs de Provence
  • 1/4 t. paprika
  • 1/2 t. garlic powder
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

  1. Whisk together the oil, herbs de Provence, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
  2. Add the chicken and toss to coat. (if roasting potatoes, they can be tossed in this mixture as well)
  3. Heat a grill to medium-high and grill the chicken about 7-10 minutes per side until an internal temperature of 165* is reached.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

335.57

Fat (grams)

16.36 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.31 g

Carbs (grams)

1.03 g

Fiber (grams)

0.35 g

Net carbs

0.7 g

Sugar (grams)

0.06 g

Protein (grams)

43.75 g

Sodium (milligrams)

299.12 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

214.7 mg

4 comments:

  1. As always, your inspired-by dish looks amazing. I just can't get into series. I think it's because I know I wouldn't follow through. There's just so much time and my TBR stack keeps getting higher and higher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling but I am completely hooked on this series. It helps that I always have one book to read and one I'm listening to. The narrator for the Gamache series is very good but my daughter warns me that he passed away while reading the series and there is going to be a new narrator. I hope the new one is as good.

      Delete
  2. I've fallen away from this series, so this is a good reminder to get back on track! That chicken sounds great, and on my menu for tonight, though with chicken fillets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the recipe and the remainder of the series Claudia.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.