Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Hush Puppies #BreadBakers

Golden brown, tender nuggets of cornmeal, Hushpuppies are an iconic, classic side dish for BBQ or Fried Fish in Southern USA.

Hushpuppies

The Bread Bakers are sharing Picnic Breads today.....

BreadBakers
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.  This month our host is Camilla of Culinary Cam who invited us to share breads that we would take on a picnic.

Let's see what everyone is sharing......
Hushpuppies pin

Ok, Folks, I must be getting a little senile because I could have sworn that the theme for this month was Breads for BBQ.  I don't know why....Perhaps because when I think of eating outside, I automatically think of grilling.  

However, I didn't grill the BBQ Shrimp that I served with these Hushpuppies so that's a pretty lame excuse.  

Maybe I can blame it on the fact that I had a crazy, busy July and my head is still not in the game.  Whatever the reason, I made these Hushpuppies to go with BBQ but they would be just as good brought on a picnic with some Waffle Battered Fried Chicken.


Breads, Cornmeal, Cornbread,
Bread
Southern
Yield: 12
Author: Wendy Klik
Hushpuppies

Hushpuppies

Golden brown, tender nuggets of cornmeal, Hushpuppies are an iconic, classic side dish for BBQ or Fried Fish in Southern USA.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 5 MinTotal time: 10 Min

Ingredients

  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. cornmeal
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 t. baking soda
  • ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 t. lemon juice
  • minced onion, if desired
  • oil for deep frying

Instructions

  1. Whisk together the lemon juice and milk. Set aside.
  2. Combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking soda, and pepper in a bowl. Make a well in the center.
  3. Whisk the egg and reserved milk and pour it into the well of dry ingredients. Mix just until combined. Stir in onion, if using.
  4. Drop by Tablespoonfuls into oil heated to 375* and cook until golden brown.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

67.99

Fat (grams)

2.28 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.48 g

Carbs (grams)

9.77 g

Fiber (grams)

0.84 g

Net carbs

8.92 g

Sugar (grams)

0.81 g

Protein (grams)

2.03 g

Sodium (milligrams)

39.06 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

14.86 mg

12 comments:

  1. Hush puppies were one thing that I did not get a chance to try when visiting Georgia and South Carolina. (The blackened catfish I ordered was to die for.) Thanks for sharing so I can try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet these would be great dipped in hot honey! And they're perfect for a cookout, kind of a combo picnic BBQ, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a story about hush puppies! We were in Oklahoma and my mom ordered some. R was less than two years old and got this horrified look on his face. "NO puppies!" he kept shouting when we offered them to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww....poor Riley. This makes me wonder how they got their name.

      Delete
    2. The story supposedly goes that confederate soldiers shared the fried cornbread balls with their dogs to keep them quiet when they were afraid the barking dogs might alert the Union army of their position. No idea if there's actually any truth to that! 🤷‍♀️

      Delete
  4. Barbecue or picnic, either way I'd love some hush puppies! Yours look delightfully golden and crispy, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.