Saturday, August 3, 2024

Venison Cutlets, A Book Review and the Weekly Menu #LitHappens

Venison Cutlets are dredged in seasoned flour and fried to a crisp golden brown on the outside and a perfect medium rare on the inside. 

Venison Cutlet Dinner

I was inspired to make this dinner while reading our Lit Happens selection for last month......

Amy of Amy's Cooking Adventures invited us to join her in reading Doc by Mary Doria Russell, a Historical Fiction based on the life of Doc Holliday while he was in Dodge City during 1870's.  

Doc

I didn't know much about Doc Holliday and his friend Wyatt Earp other than having watched Tombstone way back in 1993.  I was surprised that I liked this book as much as I did.  I don't know how true to life the depiction of Doc was but he was portrayed as a gentleman and a scholar who worked hard to be kind to others.

Venison Cutlets

The food in the novel was typical for the times.  Lots of eggs as breakfast was written about most often, followed by dinners at Delmonico's and venison several times.  I still had some venison steak cutlets in my refrigerator that my neighbor, Mark, was kind enough to share and thought this would be a great opportunity to share this recipe with you.

Venison Cutlets pin

Larry and Mary left yesterday to head back to the west side of the state for one last visit with her sister and her family before they hop on the train back to California.  Yesterday was also the last day of Theater Camp for the Angel Face.  This morning is her performance and then we will go out for lunch to celebrate.

The rest of the week is pretty quiet.  I will get back to my exercise classes, daily walks, and pool lounges.  I will be blogging Farmer Market Recipes during the week.  Hope you can stop by and see what we are all cooking up.

Here is what I'm making for dinners this week.....

Saturday
Hot Dogs on the Grill

Sunday Supper
BBQ Goat Stew
Steamed Rice
Boursin Cheese Muffins

Meatless Monday
Asian Quinoa Salad

Taco Tuesday
Chicken Fajitas

Wednesday (Winery Visits
Out for Dinner

Thursday
BBQ Pork Chops
Corn on the Cob
Baked Beans

Friday
Out for Dinner


Entrees, Venison, Game, Cutlets
Entrees, Venison
American
Yield: 5 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Venison Cutlets

Venison Cutlets

Venison Cutlets dredged in seasoned panko bread crumbs and fried to a golden brown.
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 5 MinTotal time: 20 Min

Ingredients

  • 5 (4 oz) venison cutlets
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 egg
  • 1 T. water
  • 1 c. Parmesan and Herb-flavored Panko Crumbs
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 2-3 T. flour
  • 1 1/2 c. beef stock

Instructions

  1. Use a meat mallet to pound the steaks to an even thickness, about 1/4" thick.
  2. Place the flour in a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Whisk together the egg and water in a second shallow bowl.
  4. Place the panko into a third shallow bowl
  5. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet.
  6. Dredge the steaks first in the flour, then in the egg, and then in the panko. Place into the hot oil and cook for a couple of minutes per side until crisp and golden brown. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
  7. Stir the flour into the remaining oil and drippings in the pan. Whisk in the beef stock, bring to a boil, and cook until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Strain out any chunks of breading and serve with the cutlets.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

702.76

Fat (grams)

55.49 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

20.77 g

Carbs (grams)

21.96 g

Fiber (grams)

0.98 g

Net carbs

20.98 g

Sugar (grams)

1.2 g

Protein (grams)

27.26 g

Sodium (milligrams)

363.56 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

136.34 mg

4 comments:

  1. Cool! Now I want to read that book. And I just posted a review with a venison recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think I was going to like the book but really did end up learning a lot about Holiday. I don't remember hardly any food from the novel. Glad you paid attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There wasn't a lot, mostly breakfasts. I enjoyed the book as well.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.