Sunday, November 11, 2018

Let the Baking Season Commence!!

These cookies are flavored with pure almond extract provided by #sponsor Nielsen-Massey who sent me one of their wonderful Holiday Flavors Bundle.  To thank Nielsen-Massey for their generosity, I agreed to create a recipe using their product and to post my honest and personal opinion regarding the product on this blog.


These tender shortbread cookies decorated with edible glitter will melt in your mouth.  They are the perfect start to the Holiday Baking Season.


We woke up yesterday to temperatures in the 30's and a dusting of snow on the ground.  I poured myself a cup of coffee and sat down in front of the fireplace to enjoy the beauty of the start of a Michigan winter.

As always happens, as soon as we get the first snowfall, I get hit by the baking bug.  Something about having the oven and fireplace keeping the inside cozy and warm as the weather outside is blustery and cold makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.  It brings back memories of time spent with family and friends, rolling out dough, mixing up batter, laughing and sharing stories.  Baking time equals Loving time to me.


I pulled out the Holiday Flavors Bundle that I received in the mail containing Pure Almond Extract, Pure Peppermint Extract and Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla.  I am sure by the end of the baking season I will be needing to restock but for today I just kept out the Pure Almond Extract.

Shortbread cookies are one of my very favorites.  I have made them as thumbprints kissed with candy, sprinkled with peppermint and chocolate, as the crust for cherry pie bars and lemon tarts,  and in bar form both plain and frosted with chocolate and sprinkled with almonds.


This time I just made plain ol' shortbread but added some delicious almond flavor with the Pure Almond Extract provided by Nielsen-Massey.


Within minutes the dough was made, wrapped and ready to go into the refrigerator for a couple of hours while I ran out and took care of some errands.  A couple of hours turned into overnight which is another good thing about shortbread.  Make the dough at your convenience, store it in the refrigerator and when you get a hankering for something sweet, pull it out and you are all ready to start forming and baking.


I chose to form them into discs before refrigerating because I wanted to roll and cut them into snowflakes for today's project. You can also shape them into logs then, when ready to bake, just slice them and you are good to go.


I can't wait to experiment and play with the other flavors in the Holiday Flavor Bundle.  You can order this special bundle of flavors on Amazon using the link above.  You can also find Nielsen-Massey on Facebook InstagramTwitter and Pinterest 




#holidaybaking, #cookies, #shortbread, #cutcookies, #almond,
Baiking, Holidays, Cookies, Dessert
American
Yield: 2 dozenPin it

Almond Shortbread Cookies

prep time: 15 minscook time: 20 minstotal time: 35 mins
These tender shortbread cookies decorated with edible glitter will melt in your mouth. They are the perfect start to the Holiday Baking Season.

ingredients:

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 c. sugar
pinch of salt
2 t. pure almond extract (I used Nielsen-Massey)
2 1/2 c. flour
edible glitter or colored sugar for decorating, if desired

instructions:

In large bowl of stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, salt and almond extract until light and fluffy.  Turn mixer to low speed and stir in the flour, half a cup at a time until combined.

Divide dough in half.  Form into 2 discs if making cut out cookies or 2 logs if making round cookies.   Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to a week.

When ready to bake, remove dough from refrigerator, and let warm just enough to be able to roll it with a rolling pin into about 1/2" thickness.  Cut into desired shapes and place onto baking sheets that have been covered with parchment paper or silicone mats.  Bake in a preheated 300* oven until light golden brown on the edges, about 15-20 minutes.  Sprinkle with edible glitter or colored sugar while still warm.
Created using The Recipes Generator

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.