Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Casper inspired Deviled Eggs #MoviesandMunchies

Thrill your little ghosts and goblins before they go out begging by serving up these spooky, spidery, deviled eggs with their dinner.

Spider Deviled Eggs

I was inspired to make these deviled eggs after watching the 1995 film version of Casper.  This is a fun, little movie suitable for family viewing during Halloween.  Not too scary and a good message to share.

Casper

I used to watch Casper when I was just a little goblin myself.  I remember feeling very special because his witch friend and I shared the name Wendy.  

Cam of Culinary Cam is hosting our Movies and Munchies group for October and asked us to watch any Halloween Movie that we wished and create a dish inspired by it.

I am not a fan of scary movies, but I am a big fan of Halloween and I do love a fun, not too spooky film to watch at this time of year.  

It is a very common theme for the blogging communities to which I belong.  Other films that I have watched, reviewed, and shared recipes from include Spiderwick, Addams Family, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Practical Magic, Only You, The Princess Frog, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, and Hocus Pocus

I was flying to Egypt and decided to peruse the Halloween Movies that Delta was offering this month during the flight.  When I saw that Casper was on the list it brought back fond memories of the cartoon that I used to love.  This film is nearly 30 years old and I had never seen it.  

Spider Deviled Eggs



A young, Christina Ricci, stars in this film and does a great job portraying a lonely girl who befriends a friendly ghost.  There are a lot of eggs in this film.  Casper makes Kat a sunny side up egg for breakfast, when she advises that she doesn't care for sunny side up, he makes her scrambled eggs.  Casper also turns into a fried egg at one point in the movie.

I decided to make eggs but as it is Halloween I "deviled" them and added a spooky spider on top.  Happy Hauntings my friends........




Appetizers, Eggs, Halloween, Olives
Appetizers
American
Yield: 12 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Spider Deviled Eggs

Spider Deviled Eggs

Thrill your little ghosts and goblins before they go out begging by serving up these spooky, spidery, deviled eggs with their dinner.
Prep time: 10 MinTotal time: 10 Min

Ingredients

  • 6 eggs, hard boiled
  • 3 T. Miracle Whip
  • 1 t. sweet relish
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 6 pitted Kalamata Olives

Instructions

  1. Cut the eggs in half. Remove the yolks to a small bowl. Place egg white onto a platter.
  2. Mash the yolks with a fork. Add the Miracle Whip, relish, salt and pepper. Stir to combine until smooth.
  3. Spoon the filling into the egg whites, mounding the top.
  4. Cut each olive in half crosswise. Place the rounded part of the olives onto the top of the mound of yolk.
  5. Cut the remaining half of each olive into 6 small strips and place around the olive to create legs around the body of the spider.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

38.1

Fat (grams)

2.51 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.75 g

Carbs (grams)

0.96 g

Fiber (grams)

0.16 g

Net carbs

0.8 g

Sugar (grams)

0.5 g

Protein (grams)

2.81 g

Sodium (milligrams)

114.66 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

82.2 mg

6 comments:

  1. I used to LOVE the Casper cartoons when I was young, but surprisingly I don't remember Wendy! Your Casper serving dish is adorable and your spider deviled eggs are such a clever and delicious idea for this Halloween season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...haven't seen this movei in FOREVER! But now I want to...with spider deviled eggs, of course!!! Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck - Colleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you right away, Colleen, when making these eggs.

      Delete
  3. Deviled eggs are perfect for Halloween and I love the olive spiders! (I've never heard of this movie---just the cartoons!)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.