Sunday, October 22, 2023

Kheer to celebrate Diwali #SundayFunday

This spice-scented rice pudding studded with almonds and dates is not as thick as the rice pudding that I normally serve but it is certainly as delicious.

Kheer

The Sunday Funday Bloggers are celebrating Diwali......

Sunday Funday Logo

Renu of Cook with Renu is hosting this week and asked us to join her in sharing Diwali recipes.  This means that the recipes should not contain meat, fish, or eggs.  

Diwali is a Hindu holiday also known as The Festival of Lights, symbolizing the spiritual victory of light over darkness, good over evil, and knowledge over ignorance.  

Diwali
photo from Google images

This year the celebration takes place on Sunday, November 12.  Here are some recipe ideas for you to use in your celebration......


Kheer pin

My son-in-law is Hindu and I served him this recipe.  He said that the flavor was right but that the Kheer should be thicker and perhaps I should have cooked it a bit longer.  The recipe I followed was from Dassana's Veg Recipes and while I did adapt it a bit, I kept the amounts of rice and milk and the cooking times as written.  

The photo supplied with this recipe looked much the same as mine.  I'm assuming that rice pudding in India is much the same as rice pudding from elsewhere and that there is a plethora of different versions and recipes to be had.

That being said, if you prefer a thicker pudding you can increase the amount of rice or decrease the amount of milk.  You could also let it cook a bit longer.  I stopped cooking mine as soon as the rice was completely tender.


Desserts, Pudding, Rice
Desserts
Indian
Yield: 5 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Kheer

Kheer

This spice-scented rice pudding studded with almonds and dates is not as thick as the rice pudding that I normally serve but it is certainly as delicious.
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 40 MinTotal time: 55 Min

Ingredients

  • 1/4 c. basmati rice
  • 4 c. whole milk
  • 6 T. sugar
  • 1/2 t. ground cardamom
  • 1 pinch saffron threads
  • 2 T. blanched slivered almonds
  • 1 T. chopped dried dates

Instructions

  1. Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Place into a bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside for 15 minutes.
  2. Heat the milk over medium-low heat in a saucepan, stirring occasionally so it doesn't scorch on the bottom.
  3. When the milk comes to a boil, remove 1 Tablespoon and place into a small bowl with the saffron threads. Set aside.
  4. Drain the rice and add it to the saucepan. Reduce the heat to low. Cook, stirring often, for about 15 minutes, until the rice starts to soften.
  5. Stir in the sugar and reserved saffron milk. Continue to simmer, stirring often, until the rice is completely cooked, another 15 minutes.
  6. Stir in the nuts and continue to cook until the pudding reaches your desired level of thickness, 5 or 10 minutes longer, stirring often and adding the dates during the last minute or so.
  7. Divide into 5 individual pudding cups and set aside to cool and thicken further. Can be served warm, room temperature or cold.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Dassana's Veg Recipes.

You can add/substitute pistachios and/or cashews for the almonds or along with the almonds.

You can substitute any dried fruit you wish.


Nutrition Facts

Calories

239.03

Fat (grams)

8.48 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.81 g

Carbs (grams)

34.01 g

Fiber (grams)

0.82 g

Net carbs

33.19 g

Sugar (grams)

25.86 g

Protein (grams)

8.01 g

Sodium (milligrams)

75.65 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

23.42 mg

10 comments:

  1. Kheer looks good Wendy. The consistency of the kheer is as per one's preference and varies across home. Some prefer thick and some thin. My mom never measured, she says a fist full of rice and every time I made it use to be too thick for me :D... Now that I have learnt it .

    I like the thick, but it depends. I also first reduce the milk or else the rice gets cooked first and then it's difficult to reduce milk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like mine thinner! Glad you got the flavor right one. Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always order kheer when we go to an Indian restaurant. It's so good! I've never attempted to make it. Your recipe looks easy and delicious. Happy Diwali!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely kheer recipe Wendy. No festival or any auspicious day in India is incomplete without kheer. The consistency entirely depends on personal choice. While my family likes it a bit with liquid, my sister's family loves it thick. Cooking on low heat helps as the rice gets cooked till it is soft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dessert perfect for Diwali.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.