Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Hot and Sour Soup #FoodnFlix #BookReview

Okay, so do you want to know how out of the loop I am?

Do you want to know how old I feel?

When Kimberly of Coffee and Casseroles chose Ghostbusters as this month's Movie for Food n Flix  I was shocked.  What do you mean Ghostbusters 2016?  There was a Ghostbusters 2016?

I had to look it up.  Yep, there it was and with another star studded cast and this time those Ghostbusters were women.

Image result for ghostbusters original

For you youngsters out there, the original movie came out in 1984 and starred Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, Sigourney Weaver and a whole slew of others.  Please, please do not ask me who is Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd and Sigourney Weaver.  I am feeling quite old enough, thank you very much.

Of course, you do know who some of them are as they made cameo appearances in the 2016 version starring Melissa McCarthy, who I love.

Image result for ghostbusters 2016

I didn't think that a movie could get any goofier or hokier than the original.  I was wrong....this movie is even more ridiculous and just as fun....as long as you aren't looking for any intellectual stimulation.

I don't remember any food in the original movie, except perhaps marshmallow fluff and green slime, both of which made an appearance in the remake as well.

The saving (foodie) grace of this movie is that the Ghostbuster's offices are on top of a Chinese Restaurant.  I knew I loved Chinese food for a reason.

Melissa McCarthy has an ongoing feud with the Chinese Restaurant because every time she orders wonton soup there is little or no wonton included.  However, I have previously shared my Wonton Soup recipe with you.

Image result for myers and chang cookbook

Then, as luck would have it, I won an Asian Cookbook, Myers+Chang at Home, from the folks over at The Book Club Cookbook.  Perfect!  I started reading the Preface written by Christopher Myers and the Introduction by Joann Chang.  I learned about how they met, how they married and how they started the restaurant.  I also learned about how they decided the menu and that Christopher's best friend Esti, who is Jewish but obsessed with Hot and Sour Soup, created the one they serve in the restaurant. They dare you (and me) to find a better Hot and Sour Soup anywhere.


As I read that I recalled a reference to Hot and Sour Soup with Shrimp in the movie and knew that I had found the recipe that I was going to share today.  I had to make a grocery run because tofu is not an item I use very often.  The grocer was out of ground pork but I had bought some country ribs to use in my Slow Cooker Cassoulet so I pulled out my handy dandy kitchen aid and ground my own.



Now, I can pretty much guarantee that this is the best hot and sour soup I have ever tried because it was the first time I had ever tasted hot and sour soup.  However, Tingting loves hot and sour soup and we were taking the Angel Face home so I texted her and told her I would be making dinner for them that night and would see her when she got home.

I transported the soup so that I only needed to rewarm it and add the eggs before serving.  I also packed up my wok and the ingredients for a quick chicken and veggie stir fry.


Never having had this soup before I was a little unsure of the cloudiness after I stirred in the egg but Tingting took a bite and gave it a thumbs up.  I served it up and it met with my, Franks and Little Miss Melody's approval as well.  I am happy to have another Asian Soup in my repertoire.

I will be linking up over at Foodies Read where we share all of the books that inspire us to get creative in the kitchen.

Interested in joining us over at FoodnFlix?  You can learn how by going here.  Next month we are watching Planes Trains and Automobiles hosted by Amy of Amy's Cooking Adventures.







10 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in this month. That looks great.- Kimberly (coffee and casseroles)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had hot and sour soup, I don't think. I will give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup looks great Wendy! So perfect for this movie! Love that cookbook too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Hot and Sour Soup...this looks delicious - and I'll have to check out that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of the restaurant before I won this book Heather but reading over the recipes it sounds like it is a good addition to my collection.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you girl. I just read another FnF member's post that mentioned she WASN'T EVEN BORN when the first version came out. I feel old...but this was a fun round. Great soup!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.