Sunday, September 24, 2023

Fresh Fig Salad for Mid Autumn Festival and Ma'a El Salama #SundayFunday

 Fresh figs are available here in Michigan for just a short while in early fall.  I always buy a case (or two) but they have a very short shelf life so you need to use them quickly.  This amazing salad is a great start to a fig-centric feast.

Fresh Fig Salad

The Sunday Funday Bloggers are sharing Fall Flavors to celebrate Mid Autumn Festival......
Sunday Funday Logo
Stacy of Food Lust People Love is hosting this week and invited us to join her in celebrating Mid Autumn Festival which is held between mid-September and early October each year.  We were to bring a dish that celebrates Fall Flavors.  Let's take a look at what is on the buffet today........

Fresh Fig Salad pin

I'm excited to be able to attend this event this morning because I also need to say Ma'a El Salama.  This is Goodbye in Egyptian, which is where I am off to this afternoon.  We will be leaving for the airport around 4 PM and will be arriving in Cairo at 1 AM on Tuesday.  Luckily we have all of Tuesday to recover from the journey because on Wednesday the fun begins....3 days of touring Cairo, 4 days on a Nile cruise with excursions each day before docking and loading onto a bus for a 3-hour drive to the Red Sea where we will spend a full week on a live aboard, diving and relaxing.  

I am very excited and hope to be able to share some of my trip with you when I have downtime and internet access.  I'm not sure how often that will be but I will definitely have a recap of the vacation once I get home.

In the meantime, have a happy Autumn Festival....



Salad, Vegetables, Figs, Side Dishes, Starters, First Courses
Vegetables, Salads
American
Yield: 6 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Fresh Fig Salad

Fresh Fig Salad

Mixed Greens topped with Fresh Figs, Toasted Walnuts, and Creamy Goat Cheese before being drizzled with Tangy Walnut Vinaigrette.
Prep time: 5 MinTotal time: 5 Min

Ingredients

  • 5-6 cups mixed greens of choice
  • 3-4 fresh figs, quartered
  • 1/2 c. toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
  • 2-4 oz. fresh goat cheese, crumbled
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 2 T. walnut oil
  • 2 T. red wine vinegar
  • 1 t. Dijon mustard
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

  1. Wash and dry your greens and place onto a large platter. Place the figs on top of the greens, and sprinkle the nuts and cheese over the top.
  2. Place the olive oil, walnut oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper into a glass jar with a lid. Shake until emulsified.
  3. Drizzle the desired amount of dressing over the salad and serve with any remaining dressing on the side.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

249.71

Fat (grams)

23.02 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

4.34 g

Carbs (grams)

8.17 g

Fiber (grams)

1.54 g

Net carbs

6.63 g

Sugar (grams)

5.14 g

Protein (grams)

4.83 g

Sodium (milligrams)

104.23 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

6.52 mg

14 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your fresh figs, Wendy. Since my grandparents passed away, I lost regular access to the figs trees and I miss them all. Wishing you a safe and wonderful holiday in Egypt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have some Tiger Figs on my counter - from the grocery store; our fig trees didn't produce this year. Thanks for the inspiration and have a wonderful trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Camilla. Recuperating today and then the fun and touring begin tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Have a great trip and I can't wait to hear about it ! We would love to do a trip to Egypt too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good Judee. I will be posting on Facebook as long as I have a connection.

      Delete
  4. Have a fun trip! Love this salad. I grew up with a fig tree but don't see them much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, my fresh fig connection is no longer. My neighbor Pete always used to pick them from a friend's yard. Unfortunately, she passed away, so no more figs. I guess I'll have to find a good place to buy them from now on. Hope you have an amazing time in Egypt. I'm excited to hear all about the food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to taste and share. I love middle eastern food so I'm very happy. Our guide said that camel and pigeon are very common protein sources so I'll let you know.

      Delete
  6. Love the flavor profile of this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled upon this delightful blog post, and I couldn't be more excited to try out the Fresh Fig Salad for the upcoming Mid-Autumn Festival. The combination of fresh figs, goat cheese, and honey vinaigrette sounds absolutely mouthwatering!
    New Born Baby Clothes

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.