Saturday, September 16, 2023

Corn Flake Meatloaf and the Weekly Menu #Movies&Munchies

This meatloaf used crushed cornflakes instead of breadcrumbs.  It is moist, flavorful and delicious.  Served up with a side of Mashed Potatoes and Gravy it makes a perfect fall meal.

Cornflake Meatloaf

I was inspired to make this meatloaf after watching the film The Shape of Water......

The Shape of Water

This 2017 film was chosen by Debra of Eliot's Eats as our Movies and Munchies theme this month. I had never heard of this film and had no idea what to expect.  It is a very different kind of film but I really liked it.  It has an avatar-type of feel to it.   

The movie follows Elisa Esposito (Sally Jenkins), a mute custodian working in a Maryland government laboratory.  Elisa was found, as an infant, abandoned by the side of a river.  She was in good health but, while she could hear, she could not form words and had 3 scars on the side of her neck that appeared to be healed over slashes.

Elisa lives a very routine life.  She starts each day by taking a bath, boiling eggs, and making her lunch.  She has a close relationship with her neighbor Giles (Richard Jenkins) and coworker, Zelda (Octavia Spencer).

The government brings in a captive that they found in an Amazon river, Elisa finds herself very drawn to the Amphibian Man and sneaks in during her lunch breaks to visit with him.  They become very close and Elisa, horrified by the treatment given to her friend, enlists the help of a Russian spy who has infiltrated the agency, to help her rescue him and return him to his native environment.

There is quite a bit of food in the movie.  Besides the eggs and sandwiches, previously mentioned, there were also a lot of jello salads, a lunch of meatloaf that she gets with Zelda at work, and a bowl of Cornflakes that leads Giles into a discussion of how they came to be so popular.

plate and wine

I decided to make meatloaf for dinner one evening using cornflakes instead of the breadcrumbs I would have normally used.  It turned out wonderful and I am happy to share it with you today.  I paired this meatloaf with a glass of Bordeaux for this month's French Winophiles that posted yesterday.   

****************

We are celebrating my Angel Face's birthday today.  I cannot believe that she is going to be 9 years old in only 3 days.  She is nervous about turning 9 saying "I really like being 8, and what if I don't like being 9 and then I have to be 9 for a whole year?" I assured her that being 9 would be even better than being 8 because she would be filled with a whole another year of love and knowledge.

She is having a skating party at a rink near her house.  I am anxious to watch and visit with the others, who like me, are not skating.  I did take skating lessons when the Angel Face was just an infant.  It didn't go well as you can read in this post.

We will take her out to dinner after skating and she may be spending the night with us.  We just finished up quarantine for COVID and are happy to be able to get out of the house and spend time with those we love.  

The rest of the week will be spent getting ready for our trip to Egypt.  We leave next Sunday and will be gone for over 3 weeks.  We will be packing, getting haircuts, picking up last-minute necessities, getting pedicures, and making sure the house and dogs are ready for Karen.  We are so grateful to have her in our lives.  It is nice to be able to relax and enjoy our vacations, knowing that she is handling our everyday obligations.

******************

So here is what we are eating before we leave.  I don't know if I will have internet access or time to post while I am on vacation but I hope to find a couple of days in there to share my trip with you, if not on here then at least on Facebook.  I do have 5 posts that will be going live before we leave so stay tuned for those.

Saturday
Out for dinner after Skating Party

Sunday Supper
Venison Banh Mi Burgers

Meatless Monday
Macaroni and Cheese

Taco Tuesday
Quesadillas

Wednesday
Stew over Biscuits

Thursday
Dinner out

Fish Friday
Salmon Burgers

Saturday
Leftovers to clean out fridge before we leave

*****************


Entrees, Beef, Cornflakes, Comfort Food, Fall Flavors
Entrees, Beef
American
Yield: 8 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Cornflake Meatloaf

Cornflake Meatloaf

Hungry for meatloaf but out of bread or breadcrumbs. Crush up some cornflakes and get ready for a delicious surprise.
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 1 HourTotal time: 1 H & 15 M

Ingredients

  • 2 lbs. ground beef
  • 3/4 c. ketchup
  • 1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 t. mustard
  • 2 dashes hot sauce
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 2 t. butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 pkg. dried onion soup mix
  • 4 cups cornflakes

Instructions

  1. Saute the onion in the 2 teaspoons of butter until softened. Set aside.
  2. Place the cornflakes in a food processor and pulse 4-5 times until crumbs are created. Set aside.
  3. Combine the ground beef, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, mustard, and eggs in a large bowl.
  4. Add the onion soup mix, sauteed onions, and cornflakes to the bowl and, using clean hands, mix together gently until combined.
  5. Place into a 9x5" loaf pan and place onto a baking sheet to catch any spills.
  6. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for about an hour. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing, slicing and serving.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

396.67

Fat (grams)

24.87 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

9.7 g

Carbs (grams)

20.64 g

Fiber (grams)

0.74 g

Net carbs

19.89 g

Sugar (grams)

7.42 g

Protein (grams)

22.31 g

Sodium (milligrams)

542.3 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

124.12 mg

4 comments:

  1. I started watching the movie but haven't made it that far in yet. Everything looks so pretty...like this meatloaf. I loved cornflake chicken as a child, so I know that I'd love this meatloaf!!! Hope you enjoy your trip...I know you've got to be getting pretty excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had cornflakes in years! This recipe looks great though.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.