Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Chile Infused Honey Madeleines #CakeSliceBakers

Tender, little, hold-in-your-hand cakes that will wow you with their strong citrus and slight heat.  These little darlings require the batter to refrigerate overnight and are best served warm from the oven so plan accordingly.

Hot Honey Madeleines

It's time for the Cake Slice Bakers........




Each month The Cake Slice Bakers are offered a selection of cakes from the current book we are baking through. This year it is Gâteau: The Surprising Simplicity of French Cakes by Aleksandra Crapanzano. We each choose one cake to bake, and then on the 20th - never before - we all post about our cake on our blogs. There are a few rules that we follow, but the most important ones are to have fun and enjoy baking & eating cakes!

Follow our Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest pages where you can find all of our cakes, as well as inspiration for many other cakes. You can also click on the links below to take you to each of our cakes. If you have a blog and are interested in joining The Cake Slice Bakers and baking along with us, please send an email to thecakeslicebakers at gmail dot com for more details.

The Cake Slice Bakers also have a new Facebook group called The Cake Slice Bakers and Friends. This group is perfect for those who do not have a blog but want to join in the fun and bake through this book.




It is a new year and a new book - Gâteau: The Surprising Simplicity of French Cakes - and our choices for August 2023 were ~


Chile-Infused Honey Madeleines

Pierre Hermé's Half-Baked Chocolate Cake

Gluten-Free Fig Cake
Hot Honey Madeleines

Several factors came into play when I was deciding which cookies to make this month.  It was a tough choice because Chocolate and Figs are two great loves in my life. 

One of the reasons I chose these cookies is because September is National Honey Month.  I have already shared a honey entree with this Hot Honey Glazed Salmon and a couple of days ago I shared a recipe for a Hot Honey Caramel Sauce, so this recipe is in keeping with the Hot Honey theme.  

I also loved that it is a small-batch recipe.  I always need help with self-control.  Finally, I got to use my madeleine pan.  I bought 2 pans in 2021 and used them to make Chocolate Madeleines and then I used them again in 2022 to make  Coconut Madeleines.  I guess this can be my annual Madeleine post LOL.

Hot Honey Madeleines

Aleksandra's recipe called for the batter to be refrigerated overnight.  The other madeleine recipes that I have made did not call for this step.  I followed the directions, however, I don't know if it made any difference.  I am anxious to see if any of the others omitted this step. 

Hot Honey Madeleine Pin

The only adaptations I made to this recipe were to use purchased Chile-Infused Honey rather than making my own, and I chose to use orange juice instead of the tequila option. There was not much heat to these little darlings but there was a beautiful burst of citrus that made my heart sing.


Desserts, Cakes, Hot Honey, Citrus,
Desserts
French
Yield: 12 cakes
Author: Wendy Klik
Hot Honey Madeleines

Hot Honey Madeleines

Tender, little, hold-in-your-hand cakes that will wow you with their strong citrus and slight heat. These little darlings require the batter to refrigerate overnight and are best served warm from the oven so plan accordingly.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 13 MinInactive time: 6 HourTotal time: 6 H & 23 M

Ingredients

  • 6 T. butter, melted and cooled
  • 3/4 c. flour
  • 1/2 t. baking powder
  • pinch of sea salt
  • zest + 2 t. juice of one orange
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • 2 T. Hot (Chile Infused) Honey

Instructions

  1. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  2. Place the sugar and zest into the large bowl of a stand mixer. Use your fingers to rub the zest into the sugar, releasing the oils. Place onto the stand mixer and using the paddle attachment, add the eggs, beating until light, frothy, and pale.
  3. Reduce the mixer speed and stir in the honey and orange juice for one minute.
  4. Gently fold in the dry ingredients by hand with a rubber spatula and then stir in the melted butter until combined.
  5. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. When ready to bake divide between a 12-portion madeleine pan that has been treated with baking spray.
  6. Bake in an oven that has been preheated to 400*, adjusting the heat to 375* immediately upon placing the pan into the oven.
  7. Bake for 11-13 minutes until golden brown and serve warm from the oven.

Notes

Adapted from Gateau

Nutrition Facts

Calories

137.16

Fat (grams)

6.59 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.89 g

Carbs (grams)

18.28 g

Fiber (grams)

0.24 g

Net carbs

18.05 g

Sugar (grams)

12.08 g

Protein (grams)

1.87 g

Sodium (milligrams)

80.09 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

42.55 mg

6 comments:

  1. They are darling:) And I agree-- the orange zest makes these something extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious! I know what you mean about wanting to use your pans. It helps in justifying buying it, lol. I have way too many specialty pans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to move some of my bakeware out to the garage when we remodeled the kitchen LOL.

      Delete
  3. They look terrific. These are going on my list!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.