Friday, September 1, 2023

Chocolate Fig Clafoutis and the Weekly Menu

Fall has been in the air here in Michigan.  It has been cooling down in the evenings, begging us to put on hoodies, light a campfire, and make S'Mores.  Daytime temps are still beautiful with tons of sunshine so I am happy for the season to commence.

Chocolate Fig Clafoutis
Another sign of Fall is that I am able to purchase figs from the International Marketplace.  I LOVE figs and cannot pass them up.  The problem is that nobody else in my family is as crazy about them as I.  I will buy a case and happily eat 3 or 4 right away.  Then I need to come up with a way to use the rest as figs have a very short shelf life.

This easy dessert is the perfect solution.  I get my figs, my family gets their chocolate and everyone is happy with this custardy, scrumptious Clafoutis.  

Clafoutis is a baked French dessert of fruit covered in a thick custard mixture.  It slices like a pie but there is no crust.  I have also shared a recipe for Cherry Almond Clafoutis that was absolutely yummy.

This Fig Clafoutis takes very little prep and is quick to prepare taking only 30 minutes from start to finish.  I served mine up with a scoop of ice cream and it was a huge hit.

Man in boat

We have a busy weekend ahead of us.  The Angel Face is spending the night tonight.  Amy and Doug are picking her up after work and having dinner here with us.  Angel Face is staying here because John has invited us to join him as he cruises his "Kirsie", a beautifully restored wooden Chris Craft, in the local Labor Day Antique Boat Parade.

Petoskey and Pine Candles

After the parade, we will meet our daughter, Jessica, at the Art Fair here in Algonac. When we are shopped out at this Art Fair we will head into a neighboring town where our daughter, Nicole, and her husband Pierre have a booth selling their wonderful Petoskey and Pine products.  When they are done for the day we will go have a bite to eat.

Sunday we are going over to Frank's sister Roz's house for a BBQ and birthday gathering for Frank's brother Dan.  We have no plans for Labor Day.  It's slated to be gorgeous so we're going to enjoy the pool while we can.  Thursday evening we are meeting our friends, the Fontaines, for dinner.  

I am sharing the meals we are eating at home on my Weekly Menu under which you will find the clafoutis recipe.  What are your holiday weekend plans?

Saturday
Dinner out with Nic and Pierre

Sunday
Dinner at Roz's

Monday-Labor Day
BBQ Chicken
Macaroni Salad
Corn on the Cob

Tuesday
Green Chile Pork with Tortillas

Wednesday
Tomato Sandwiches
Corn on the Cob

Thursday
Dinner out with Fontaines

Fish Friday
Fried Pickerel
Tater Tots
Coleslaw



desserts, clafoutis, custard, flan, figs
Dessert
French
Yield: 8 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Chocolate Fig Clafoutis

Chocolate Fig Clafoutis

Fresh figs nestled in a chocolate custard and baked to a cream goodness.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 25 MinTotal time: 30 Min

Ingredients

  • 3 eggs
  • 1 c. light cream
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • 1/4 c. + 3 T. flour
  • 1 T. cocoa powder
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 6 figs, halved
  • 1 T. Turbinado sugar

Instructions

  1. Place the egg, cream, vanilla, flour, cocoa, brown sugar, and salt into a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a 10" baking pan or cast iron skillet that has been treated with baking spray.
  2. Arrange the figs, skin side down, into the batter and sprinkle with the Turbinado sugar.
  3. Bake in a preheated 400* oven for about 25 minutes, until puffy and a skewer inserted into the center removes cleanly.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Emily Laurae

Nutrition Facts

Calories

215.6

Fat (grams)

11.04 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

6.38 g

Carbs (grams)

26.69 g

Fiber (grams)

1.44 g

Net carbs

25.24 g

Sugar (grams)

21.18 g

Protein (grams)

3.56 g

Sodium (milligrams)

43.02 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

94.54 mg

2 comments:

  1. Wendy, this looks like a little slice of fig heaven! My neighbor, Pete, always brought me fresh figs from a lady's tree in our town. I think she passed away last year though...which means no more figs. Double sadness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I break down and pay a dollar each for them but it is worth it to me and it is only once or twice a year.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.