Friday, September 22, 2023

Tarte Normande #FallFlavors

Enjoy the Flavors of Fall with this rustic, scrumptious French Apple Tart.  Perfect as we welcome in the cooler weather.  

Tarte Normandy

I am so excited to be sharing this recipe with you today.  Fall is my favorite time of year.  I love it when the air turns crisp and I can go for my walks anytime during the day instead of in the mornings before the heat arrives.  Fall is the season for hikes, bike riding, bonfires, apple picking, oven baking, and curling up on the sofa with a good book.  These are a few of my favorite things.  So is the Sound of Music LOL.

I am going to miss the beginning of the season this year, however, as I head to Egypt.  I'm not sure that they have a fall season but the temps should only be in the low to mid 80's so it shouldn't be too bad and much of my time is going to be underwater in the Red Sea.  Stay tuned in mid-October when I return and share my vacation highlights with you.

Tarte Normande


While I'm sharing this recipe with you right before a trip to Egypt, I actually served it up with a glass of Normandy 44 when friends were over and we were planning our Normandy vacation next spring. 

This delicious, creamy dessert features apples and Calvados, an apple brandy from Normandy.  It is easy to make but very impressive to serve. I hope you enjoy it and are having a great start to your Fall season.  Let's break out those hoodies!!!





Desserts, Tart, Apples, Fall Flavors
Dessert
French
Yield: 8 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Tarte Normande

Tarte Normande

This French Apple Tart features apples in Calvados cream in a shortbread crust. It is an easy, elegant finish to a dinner celebrating all the Flavors of Fall.
Prep time: 20 MinCook time: 40 MinTotal time: 1 Hour

Ingredients

  • 6 T. butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/4 c. powdered sugar, divided
  • 3 eggs
  • pinch of salt (if using unsalted butter)
  • 1 1/4 c. flour
  • 4 firm baking apples, I used Fuji
  • 1/2 c. heavy cream
  • 1/4 c. Calvados (apple brandy)

Instructions

  1. In the large bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar until creamy.
  2. Add 1 egg and beat until fluffy. Turn the speed to low and mix in the flour (and salt, if needed) just until combined into a soft ball.
  3. Press the dough into a tart pan and place in the refrigerator while making the filling.
  4. Whisk together the remaining sugar, remaining eggs, cream, and Calvados. Set aside.
  5. Peel, core and slice the apples 1/2" thick. Layer onto the refrigerated dough and place the tart pan onto a baking sheet.
  6. Pour the cream mixture over the apples being careful not to overfill the pan. You may not need to use all the cream mixture.
  7. Bake in a preheated 400* oven for about 40 minutes, until the tart is set and golden brown.
  8. Cool in the pan on a baking rack. Can be served warm or at room temperature.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Curious Cuisiniere

Nutrition Facts

Calories

359.2

Fat (grams)

15.92 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

9.46 g

Carbs (grams)

46.72 g

Fiber (grams)

2.71 g

Net carbs

44.01 g

Sugar (grams)

28.35 g

Protein (grams)

4.85 g

Sodium (milligrams)

102.53 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

101.09 mg

10 comments:

  1. A trip to Normandy? OMG jealous!!! What a wonderful dessert for your planning party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am very excited about it. It will be my first European adventure.

      Delete
  2. Look forward to hearing about your trip! I'm crust phobic but I think I could pull this one off, and that filling, oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! I need this in my life...any time of year! Looking forward to hearing all about Egypt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy, this little pie looks delicious. I'm all about easy and impressive desserts! I hope you have a wonderful, safe trip to Egypt. I'm looking forward to your updates and pictures. Take care xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcelle. I am on a Nile cruise having a little down time so was able to see your comment.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.