Friday, October 2, 2020

Grapes grown in Volcanic Soil produce a HOT wine!!! #ItalianFWT

 We are celebrating Volcanic Wines this month with our Italian Food Wine Travel group.  I took a virtual trip and learned that the wines available were numerous.  This invitation was extended by Jennifer of Vino Travels.  You can learn more at Jennifer's Preview Post.

Wine and Cheese Board

I found a bottle of Salvatore Molettieri Taurasi Vigna Cinque Querce 2007 at Wine.com.  I paid $46 for this wine which is more than I would normally spend on a bottle for a weeknight meal but it got great reviews and I couldn't resist.

Before I talk to you about this wine and the pairings I did, let's see what wines the others found and what they thought......

We will all be gathering together for Twitter Chat tomorrow, Saturday, 10/3, to talk about our findings.  Please join in the fun.  You can find us between 11 am and Noon by following #ItalianFWT.

Wine

I'm so happy that I followed my instincts and purchased this wine.  Sometimes you just need a weeknight celebration....just because.  And we have so much for which to celebrate and be thankful.

Taurasi is located on a plateau so erosion has not depleted the volcanic soil.  This soil creates wines that are deep and complex.  They have a lot of minerality.  In this wine that minerality produced a very bold, dark and complex wine.  It is fruity yet still very dry and silky smooth.

It was suggested that we pair this wine with aged cheese.  I put out a trio of Italian Cheeses and Frank opened the wine.  The Teen was at work and dinner was planned for 7pm.  As we were taking photos, the Teen phoned and said she had gotten out early and was STARVING!!

Wine, Cheeseboard and pizza Crust


So a quick change of plans.  Instead of Frank and I, relaxing with our cheese and wine, we snacked and sipped as we put together some pizzas for dinner.

Wine and slice of pizza

When the Teen got home we enjoyed a second glass with our Caramelized Onion and Wild Mushroom Pizza.  I will be sharing that recipe with you on Sunday so stay tuned.

The wine did pair nicely with the cheeses and I was pleasantly surprised that it paired well with the pizza as well.  I wasn't sure it would because the pizza has a herb cheese sauce and the caramelized onions give it a touch of sweetness but the smoothness and spiciness of the wine played well with the flavors.

Don't forget to join us for Twitter Chat tomorrow, Saturday, 10/3, at 11 am ET.  Looking forward to visiting with you.

12 comments:

  1. I have not explored Taurasi nearly enough! Thank you for the inspiration. How wonderful that the wine paired so well with your herb sauce. That pizza looks amazing by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness! I LOVE this pairing and that wine. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it was a lovely evening either way. And I absolutely think we need lots of "celebration(s)....just because" these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you splurged. Sometimes you just have to and the Taurasi wines are a great way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that out, now the problem is I want to splurge again LOL.

      Delete
  5. I've tasted Aglianico but not Taurasi. Sounds like it's worth the splurge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a fan of splurging from time to time, especially if on wine. Would you do it again? BTW, caramelized onion mushroom pizza- si, si, si!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do it again Lynn. I'm tempted right now but I think I will wait for the holidays.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.