Friday, April 17, 2020

Foiled Fish with Mango #FishFridayFoodies

Fish Fillet coated in butter, sprinkled with lime and rum and topped with mango chunks before being wrapped in foil and baked until tender and flaky.  Come visit the Tropics with me during this Stay Home/Stay Safe mandate.

Foiled Fish with Mango

Join the Fish Friday Foodies as we share recipes inspired by our travels.......



This great idea is the brainchild of Cam who blogs over at Culinary Adventures with Camilla.  Granted she came up with this theme prior to the pandemic but it is so apropos to this situation we find ourselves in right now.  Who doesn't need to sustain themselves with memories of life before this pandemic?

Let's see where we are traveling to with the others today.........
I was originally going to share a recipe from our favorite restaurant that we visit each time we go down to the Florida Keys.  Then this pandemic struck and we have been limiting our grocery trips and trying to live off items we have at home.  I will be sharing that recipe with you when this is all over and I can get to the Fish Monger for some fresh snapper.

cookbook

My regular readers know that most of my travels consist of trips to places where we can enjoy scuba diving.  I often pick up cookbooks while on vacation to add to my collection.  I picked up this cookbook when we visited the Island of Sint Eustatius, a tiny Dutch Island in the Caribbean.

I was leafing through it, looking for inspiration for this event.  I found a recipe for a crab gratin and I did have a couple of cans of crab in my cupboard but my husband isn't crazy about crab.  Then I spotted a recipe for Foiled Fish with Mango.  I had some cod fillet and mango chunks in the freezer so I knew that this would work.

Foiled Fish with Mango

I was lucky enough to have fresh herbs in my refrigerator but you could use dried or pastes just as well.  I didn't have any limes but I did have a bottle of lime juice so I used that.  The recipe calls for fresh mango slices but the frozen chunks worked fine for me.

Foiled Fish with Mango

Perfect recipe.  Easy, peasy and delicious.  Using the foil packets make cleanup a breeze.  While the packets were baking I made up a batch of rice flavored with ginger.  It was the perfect side dish.

Foiled Fish with Mango pin


I only made 3 packets.  This was a mistake as the Teen asked for seconds of fish and I had no more to give her.  

I hope you enjoy traveling with us today from your living room.  Stay Home/Stay Safe/ Stay Well.




#fish, #cod, #tropical, mango, #foildinners, #quick, #easy,
Seafood, Fish,
Caribbean
Yield: 3 servings
Author:

Foiled Fish with Mango

Foiled Fish with Mango

Fish Fillet coated in butter, sprinkled with lime and rum and topped with mango chunks before being wrapped in foil and baked until tender and flaky.
Prep time: 5 MCook time: 20 MTotal time: 25 M

Ingredients:

  • 3 fish fillets (I used cod)
  • 1 mango or 1 package of frozen mango chunks
  • 3 T. butter
  • 3 t. lime juice
  • 3 T. rum
  • 3 sprigs thyme
  • handful of parsley leaves
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions:

How to cook Foiled Fish with Mango

  1. Butter 3 sheets of aluminum foil and place a fish fillet onto each.  Use the remaining butter to coat the top of the fish fillet and season with salt and pepper.
  2. Sprinkle each fillet with 1 teaspoons of lime juice and 1 Tablespoon of rum.  Top with the parsley leaves, thyme sprig and mango chunks.
  3. Seal the foil into packets, enclosing the fish.  Place onto a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 375* oven for 15-20 minutes, until fish is opaque and flaky.

Notes:

Adapted from a recipe found in The Statia Cookbook.
Calories
443.79
Fat (grams)
13.97
Sat. Fat (grams)
7.91
Carbs (grams)
35.45
Fiber (grams)
4.37
Net carbs
31.08
Sugar (grams)
30.86
Protein (grams)
40.31
Sodium (milligrams)
382.58
Cholesterol (grams)
179.99
Created using The Recipes Generator




10 comments:

  1. Wendy, thanks for sharing this recipe. I think we could all use a tropical vacation after this pandemic, right?!? I don't have any parchment paper or foil in my kitchen at the moment. But as soon as I do, I'll be giving this a try. Thanks for joining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the prep time!! And almost zero cleanup! I hope you get to make that trip soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that tropical flare! I need to track down some mango - I'm totally craving fish with mango salsa now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great combo of fish and mango, looks so luscious Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be lovely any Friday! I often make fish in packets like this, only use parchment paper, and the mangoes are a nice tropical touch. We'll be getting them fresh again soon, can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy Claudia, you can use parchment as well but I was out of parchment so used the foil.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.