Thursday, April 30, 2020

The Biggest Little Farm: The Round-up #FoodnFlix

This month I asked the members of Food n Flix to join me in watching the documentary The Biggest Little Farm and sharing a recipe that was inspired by the film.

The Biggest Little Farm (2018) - IMDb

Food n Flix is a fun group that gets together each month to watch a film chosen by one of the members.  We then create a recipe inspired by the film and share it on our blog or instagram along with a review of the film.

Food n Flix logo


Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla was first up quite early in the month.  She watched the movie twice in one day.  Cam titled her post "Deep Conversations, Farm Fresh Eggs, + Molly's Spaghetti & Meatballs", explaining "I sat down with Jake to watch this for the second time. The movie sparked an earnest conversation about what we envision in our retirement years."

Spaghetti

Cam made up Molly's Spaghetti and Meatballs, adapted from a recipe found on the Apricot Lane Farms blog.  Apricot Lane Farms is the setting for the documentary.

The next person to join in the fun was Amy of Amy's Cooking Adventures.  Amy told me that this was way outside her genre and she really enjoyed it.  I'm so glad.

BBQ Chicken

Amy decided to make BBQ Bourbon Bacon Shredded Chicken (Doesn't that sound delicious) based on two of the farm animals portrayed in the documentary.  Here is her reasoning in her words.  Thanks for the chuckle Amy!

"Then, one day, Greasy met a tragic end. He was…ummm...shredded. Not by coyotes as originally suspected, but by one of the farm dogs. And that’s our macabre inspiration. Yep, we have shredded chicken (sorry Greasy) with bacon (Emma) with a homemade BBQ."

Debra of Eliot's Eats was right on Amy's heels with her Chickpea Salad that she found on the Apricot Farm Blog.

Chickpea Salad

Debra used ingredients she had on hand as we are all still quarantining from COVID19.   This is what she had to say about the film.
"If you haven’t seen this film, I highly recommend it. It certainly got me out to the garden. I don’t know how biodynamic we will be or if we can problem solve like John when it comes to pests, but at least Apricot Lane Farms has given me hope."
I was next up with these Chocolate Coconut Banana Muffins. I also found my recipe on the Apricot Lane Farms website.  I adapted it to use what I had on hand.  They turned out delicious.

muffins

I so enjoyed this film and it is available free on you tube.  Do yourself a favor and watch it while we are still sheltering in place.  It is a great way to spend an afternoon or evening.

Our leader, Heather, joined in right after me with this amazing looking Flaky Nectarine Pie.  I need a piece of this scrumptious looking pie.

Nectarine Pie

Heather was inspired by the fact that Apricot Farms has over 75 stone fruit trees and decided to bake this pie.  Heather also loved the film saying......
"So yes, this documentary pulled on my heartstrings, but it also inspired me...and assured me that I do not have the patience to start a farm (though I'd love to, hypothetically)."
Midnight in Paris


So that's a wrap for this month's film.  Please join us next month as we watch Midnight in Paris hosted by Debra of Eliot's Eats .  I watched it last night and loved it.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great round-up! Amy is killing me with inspiration! Ha! Thanks for advertising next month's film. Glad you liked it! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting, Wendy. This was a GREAT pick. Jake has already recommended it to at least three people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a great choice, I'm so happy that you picked it. Thanks so much for hosting us this month, Wendy. Off to check out everybody's offerings...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for allowing me to host Heather. Glad you were happy with it.

      Delete
  4. I watched this film and LOVED IT. I put it all over FB and I told everyone about it... then I forgot to do a post. I am so upset with myself. However, I loved reading your roundup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed the film Terri, join us next month.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.