Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Polish Tomato Salad

Last night I took dinner to a function at our church.  We have been meeting for the past couple of months on Monday evenings and are scheduled to meet until the end of November.  The meetings start at 6 pm with dinner.  We have been taking turns providing meals for the group of about 30 people.

We have enjoyed taco night, Italian, Soup and Salads and Fried Chicken with all the trimmings.  I decided to bring Polish food.  I made Stuffed Cabbages, Kielbasa with Sauerkraut, Potato Cheese Pierogi, Spiced Pickled Beets and Creamed Cucumbers.  I also made two new recipes and two desserts.  I will be sharing all four of these with you but tonight I am only sharing one.

Our son in law, Pierre, had brought us some late season tomatoes from his garden.  Some were ripe, some were partially ripe and some were green.  We ate the ripe ones right away and placed the partially ripe tomatoes onto the window sill.  Today I had seven fully ripe and beautiful tomatoes and decided to use them as a side dish for the church dinner.

On a whim, I punched in "Polish Tomato Salad" into Google Search and viola....found a great recipe at the Polska Foods website.  I didn't have everything called for in the original recipe so I adapted it to work with the products in my kitchen.  It was a delicious salad.  I'm not sure what makes it Polish other than the sour cream.  Polish people do love their sour cream!!


Polish Tomato Salad 
adapted from Polska Foods

7 ripe tomatoes, chopped
3 T. Gourmet Garden Basil Stir In Paste or 3 T. fresh chopped basil
3/4 c. sour cream
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients including the juices from the tomatoes.  Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.  Print Recipe

2 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of sour cream so this sounds delicious to me! Never would have thought of making a tomato salad.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.