Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Roasted Sweet Potato Soup

Last night we had our friends, the Bendas and the Lents', over for dinner.  It was the first time the Bendas saw the new house.  I really enjoy the way this house is set up.  It is perfect for entertaining.


Greg and Linda brought us this fun wall hanging as a housewarming gift.  Don't you just love it??!! It will be proudly displayed by our bar each Halloween season.

I had just started the FMD eating plan again on Monday so the meal I served was in accordance with Phase 1 of this plan.  One of the things I like so much about this eating plan is that it uses real food that everyone loves.  I have shared the entree of Chicken Broccoli Rice Bowl the first time I went on the plan.  It has become a favorite in the household.  

The food I planned was all well recieved and I was happy to be able to eat without worry.  I did cheat a bit and enjoy a glass (or two) of wine during the evening and while the sorbet I served for dinner was FMD friendly the cookie was not.  All in all it was a succesful day for the eating plan and a very successful dinner party.


I found this recipe for Roasted Sweet Potato Soup with Curried Apples at WholeLiving.com.    It had to be adapted very little to make it Phase 1 friendly.  I did so by deleting the olive oil used to saute the vegetables.  In Phase 3, the use of the olive oil would be encouraged.  I did not use sherry to deglaze the pan as it is not on the eating plan.  I served the soup and added the garnishes of curried apples, mint and Greek yogurt at the end.  If you are sticking to the plan just delete the yogurt although I did add a dollop to my soup.  Without the yogurt it is also vegan friendly and with the yogurt it is still vegetarian friendly and would be great for a Meatless Monday meal.  Make sure you do garnish with the mint leaves though. Everyone concurred that the mint added a great flavor to the soup. 

This soup is out of this world.  Everyone raved about it and several people enjoyed seconds.  There is no better compliment to a cook in this world then when people ask for seconds.

Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
adapted from Whole Living

4 lg. Sweet Potatoes
1 med. onion, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
3 mini yellow bell peppers, seeded and sliced
1 lg. jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
2 lg. garlic cloves, minced
8 c. vegetable broth
2 t. white wine vinegar
1 t. honey
1/4 t. curry powder
1 med tart apple, cored, peeled and cut into small dice
6 oz. plain Greek yogurt
Chopped mint leaves

Place potatoes on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 400* oven for about an hour, until easily pierced with a fork.  Remove from oven and cut in half to allow to cool enough to handle. Remove the flesh from the skins.

Place the onions in a skillet with a tablespoon or two of the vegetable broth.  Cook over med heat until onions are caramelized, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the peppers, jalapeno and garlic, cook and stir for a few minutes.  Add the broth and the potato.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20-30 minutes. 

Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender and place into a clean pot.  Taste and adjust seasonings. 

In a small saucepan, heat the vinegar, honey and curry powder to a boil.  Add the apple.  Cook and stir for one minute, remove from heat.

Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the curried apples, a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkle of mint.  Print Recipe



2 comments:

  1. Such a cute sign! Perfect for you guys! The soup sounds delicious. I wish my grands were more into soups. I love soup. I made a broccoli cheese soup this week from The Pioneer Woman. Not as good as some I have tasted but I'll be eating it all week. They don't even want to try it cause it wasn't a luscious smell while it was cooking...LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with all those cruciferous veggies. They taste so good but smell so bad. Enjoy your soup.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.