Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Ginger Pumpkin Leek Soup for #PumpkinWeek

Yesterday I shared a post for a recipe that I made on September 22nd.  September 22nd was a hot and sunshiney day.  Just perfect for the Pumpkin Milkshakes that we enjoyed.  Two years ago, on the second day of Pumpkin Week, I shared Pumpkin Praline Pancakes.  Last year, day 2 brought you a heart healthy Pumpkin Chili.

The recipe I am sharing today was prepared on the 29th of September.  Boy, what a difference one week makes!! It is overcast and rainy with highs in the low 60's.  A perfect day for a warm, comforting bowl of soup.


This wonderful recipe is smooth and creamy.  Perfect to share with you on this 2nd day of Pumpkin Week  It contains not only pumpkin but leeks, sweet potatoes, blackbeans, garlic, ginger and cumin.  Is your mouth watering yet?



I adapted this recipe from The Fast Metabolism Diet Cookbook by Haylie Pomroy.  This is a Phase 1 friendly soup and when eaten with a slice of sprouted grain toast or sprouted grain tortilla makes a complete Phase 1 meal. You are allowed 2 full cups for a Phase 1 meal.


Ginger Pumpkin and Leek Soup
adapted from The Fast Metabolism Diet

1 lg. leek, halved, rinsed and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. pumpkin puree
1 lg. sweet potato, baked, peeled and cut into chunks
3 mini or 1 large orange bell peppers, seeded and diced
6 c. vegetable or chicken stock ( I used a mixture of each)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 T. tamari
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground cumin
salt to taste
cilantro for garnish, if desired

Place the leeks and garlic in a non stick skillet over med heat.  Add 1/4 c. stock or water and cook until tender and liquid is cooked away.  Set aside.

Place the pumpkin, potato, peppers, stock, black beans, ginger and cumin in a large pot.  Place over med high heat and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, add the leeks and simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Puree the soup using an immersion blender or putting it (in batches if necessary) into a regular blender until smooth.  Return to pot, taste and season with salt.  Rewarm gently.  Garnish each bowl with cilantro if desired. Print Recipe



Day 2 of Pumpkin Week


10 comments:

  1. YUMM!! I am craving pumpkin soup. I am definitely reserving some of the puree I made over the weekend to give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness! I want that for breakfast this morning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed it for lunch today with our sandwiches made with leftover roast chicken.

      Delete
  3. Hey! This recipe is very similar to one my mother used to make! :) The only real difference I can see is that she would puree everything but the black beans. They were already cooked and went in last, so the soup had a different texture. Sometimes she would also throw in some roasted corn at the last minute. Since she would cook from scratch and just from memory (she rarely used a written recipe), I am glad to see your recipe so I might be able to "reincarnate" my mom's soup! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful. I am so happy that I found a recipe so similar to your Mum's. Food memories are the best.

      Delete
  4. I would have never thought to add black beans to pumpkin soup and now I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.