Monday, May 29, 2017

Corndog Bites #MuffinMonday

Happy Memorial Day.....That never sounds right to me.  We are remembering all of those who died fighting for our Country and our freedom....somehow happy doesn't seem to fit.

But it is Memorial Day and for many people this marks the beginning of Summer.  The grills come out, the pools get opened, the picnics get packed and the carnivals start arriving in town.

I passed a carnival that was setting up and started thinking about how excited I would be as a kid when the carnival came to town.  Rides and games and food...lots and lots of junk food....elephant ears, cotton candy, ice cream, lemonade and corndogs.

Today is Muffin Monday and it was with these thoughts running around in my head that I chose to create some little corn dog bites.  After all, what is a corn dog but a hot dog surrounded by a huge corn muffin?


I just made a basic corn muffin recipe, added some diced hot dogs, and baked them in a mini muffin pan.  The next time I make these, and there will be a next time, I will add a slice of hot dog to each muffin instead of dicing the hot dog and adding it to the batter.  This will make for more hot dog taste and more even distribution.


I took these little appetizers with us when to a Memorial Day BBQ and they were a big hit.  They are one of those bites that you can't help but grab each time you walk by.

Corndog Bites
makes 42 mini muffins

1 c. cornmeal
1 c. flour
3 t. baking powder
2 T. sugar
pinch of salt
1 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. canola oil
1 egg
1 hot dog, cut into small dice

Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl.  Combine buttermilk, oil and egg in a 2 cup measuring cup.  Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture. Stir just until combined.  Fold in the hot dog.  Using a small cookie scoop place the batter into mini muffin pans that have been liberally treated with cooking spray.  Bake in a preheated 450* oven for 10 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.  Print Recipe

More Marvelous Muffins







#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.


8 comments:

  1. I love that you made them mini-sized, Wendy. Perfect for sharing at a barbecue! And these are so much healthier than a fried corn dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this flavor combination. I actually made some for a past muffin Monday and used Lil Smokies in the middle. So good dipped in mustard.

    I know what you mean by "happy Memorial Day" so happy beginning of the summer. Break out the white shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was an article about this yesterday. Stop saying "Happy Memorial" day or some such. Until then, I'd never thought about it. A bit embarrassed by that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just hard to know what to say. I guess we could say Blessed Memorial Day.

      Delete
  4. Oh Lordy do I love corndogs! Especially the huge ones deep fried and slathered in mustard that you can get at the fair! I allow myself just one of those every year. After that, your corndog muffins will be perfect. They sound very tasty and easy to make, and taking them on a picnic is a great idea - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.