Thursday, September 5, 2013

Just another day in Paradise

Thursday is normally our choir practice night.  Both Frank and I sing in our church choir and Frank additionally belongs to the ensemble.  He is very musically inclined, plays keyboards, harmonica, saxophone, accordion and has a great bass voice. The choir breaks for the summer and tonight is our first night back but Frank and I won't be attending because we have tickets to take his mom to see Il Volo at the wonderful Fox Theatre.  Check back tomorrow for my review of this group.

I guess it is true that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Every time I open up my chicken and turkey pens to allow them to free roam, the turkeys run into the chicken yard and the chickens run into the turkey yard.  Too Funny.
 
The coop farthest left is where my chickens live, next to it divided by chicken wire is where the turkeys live.

These are my turkeys at approx. 1 month old.  They have 2.5 months of growing left and should be between 16 and 20 lbs. by Thanksgiving Week.

Turkeys have a reputation for being very stupid.  When I first decided to raise turkeys I had many people tell me how difficult they were, that I couldn't raise them near my chickens and that they were so stupid they would drown themselves in the rain.  My experience shows that this could not be farther from the truth.  My chickens and turkeys share a fence line, free roam together, go into each other's yards and sleep together with no adverse effects.  My turkeys are very friendly and come running when I call to them.  On hot summer days they love to be squirted with a hose.  One thing I have found though is that as they get older they become very stinky...I think God does this so we don't mind sending them off to become our dinner.
 
My Weekly Share
 




 Thursdays are distribution days at my CSA farm.  This was my bounty this week. Looks like I will be pickling peppers, making pesto for the freezer and canning salsa verde with the tomatillos.  Stay tuned for recipes.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.