Sunday, September 15, 2024

Honeycomb Candy inspired by The Secret Life of Bees #SundayFundayBloggers #CooktheBooks #MoviesandMunchies

Crisp, light, and airy this candy takes me right back to my grandmother's kitchen.  This candy is perfect for sending with your child as a welcome-back gift for the teachers.

 

Honeycomb Candy

The Sunday Funday Bloggers are sharing Candy recipes today.....

Sunday Funday logo
Karen of  Karen's Kitchen Stories is hosting today and asked us all to share a recipe for Candy or a recipe that uses candy.

Let's see what everyone is sharing.....
>

Honeycomb

I decided to make Honeycomb Candy for this event because as you read this I am on an adventure celebrating the retirement of our eldest child.  When Amy was planning retirement, well over a year ago, we decided to hike on the Appalachian Trail.  

We are not backpacking and camping.  We are part of a guided tour by REI of the AT in Shenandoah National Park.  We have 4 days of Lodge-Based day hikes followed by dinner, a hot shower, and a soft bed.  Today is Day 1.  We will be picked up at a Hotel near the airport and transported to the first trailhead.  This hike will end at the lodge that will be our home for the next 4 days.  

The Secret Life of Bees

Sorry, I digress....back to why I decided on this recipe.  I also belong to two other groups, Cook the Books and Movies and Munchies.  This time our selections for the book and the film are the same.  Debra of Eliot's Eats is our host for both events and chose The Secret Life of Bees.

This is the third time I have read this novel by Sue Monk Kidd and I enjoy it each and every time.  It follows the coming of age of a young girl, Lily, whose mother died when she was 4 leaving her to be raised by an angry, disgruntled father.  

The novel takes place in the Deep South during the 1960's Civil Rights Movement giving African Americans the right to vote.  This is not being accepted very well and the woman who has taken care of Lily since her mother's death ends up beaten and jailed.

Lily helps the woman (Rosaleen) escape and they find themselves at the home of 3 sisters who own a honey farm.  I won't give any spoilers in case you have never read the book or watched the movie.  I highly recommend both.  

Cook the Books is a bimonthly book club in which we all read the same novel and make a recipe inspired by what we have read.  Anyone can join.  You can learn more at the Guidelines page.  The host posts a roundup of the recipes shared at the end of the two months.

I knew that I wanted to make a recipe using honey.  Since I was to be gone for part of the month I decided to combine these events instead of trying to write 3 separate posts.  When this week's Sunday Funday theme was Candy, it was the perfect opportunity to do so.


The Secret Life of Bees

This was the second time I had watched the film and I hope to watch it again with my Angel Face when she next stays the night.  She is mature enough to understand the subject matter and learn the history of the fight against racism and the importance of equality. 

There is a lot of heavy subject matter in this film.  Racism, Murder, Suicide, Violence, and Swearing.  It is rated PG13.  I wouldn't let my child watch this without being there to answer questions during the film and have discussion afterward.


Honeycomb Candy

This is a fast and relatively easy recipe BUT there are some pitfalls so you need to be careful.  My first batch turned out more like taffy than honeycomb.  I did not let my sugar mixture get hot enough before adding the vanilla and baking soda.  Cook and stir that mixture for at least 3-4 minutes.  You want to reach a temperature of 295-305* with a deep golden brown color.

The mise en place is very important for this recipe.  Once you start cooking, you must keep stirring, so make sure everything is ready and close.  It is also important to sift the baking soda eliminating any lumps. This recipe foams up a lot.  Use a deep pan.  I used a Dutch oven.


Desserts, Sweets, Candy, Honey, Snacks
Desserts
American
Author: Wendy Klik
Honeycomb Candy

Honeycomb Candy

Crisp, light, and airy this candy takes me right back to my grandmother's kitchen
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 5 MinTotal time: 10 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 T. baking soda, sifted
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • pinch of salt

Instructions

  1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and have it nearby. You will be pouring the candy onto it and it is very hot.
  2. Sift the baking soda and set it in a small bowl next to the stovetop. Measure out the vanilla and have it next to the stovetop.
  3. Place the sugar, honey, and salt into a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a silicone spatula, for 3-4 minutes. The mixture will darken noticeably and should reach a temperature between 295-305.
  4. Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda until the baking soda is completely dissolved.
  5. Immediately, pour onto the parchment-lined baking sheet, and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
  6. Place the baking sheet into the refrigerator and allow the candy to cool completely. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at A Cozy Kitchen

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you stuck with it! I've made it once for a cake for Cake Slice Bakers and it's fascinating to watch it bubble up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honeycomb can be very tempermental. I am glad you tried again. It's worth it, isn't it?!? And your hiking adventure sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy the hiking trip sounds really exciting. And when experienced with family, it becomes that much more memorable. I've always wanted to try making honeycomb candy at home. Will be giving it a try soon. Thanks for the book and movie recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.