Monday, November 27, 2023

Pumpkin, Orange, and Date Muffins, A Book Review and the Weekly Menu #MuffinMonday

These muffins are an explosion of flavor with citrus in the forefront and earthy pumpkin and dates in the background.

Pumpkin, Orange and Date Muffins

It's time for Muffin Monday.......

On the last Monday of each month, some of us get together to share Muffin Recipes under the direction of Stacy from Food Lust People Love.  I try to participate each month because muffins are so quick and easy to make.  You can use whatever ingredients you have on hand and they make a great, quick breakfast to enjoy with your coffee or to grab if you are running out the door.

In this case, I still had some pumpkin puree in my refrigerator that I had made using the pumpkins that decorated my home over Halloween.  You can easily use canned puree for these muffins but be aware that you only need 1 cup so you will have leftover puree to use.  

That is not a bad thing...you can make more muffins or breads or you can go with a savory application like this Fall Harvest Chowder or Pasta with Kale and Creamy Pumpkin Sauce.  If you want to go sweet, without making bread or muffins, how about this Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake?

Before we go onto this delicious and timely fall recipe let's take a look at what the others baked up for today's event........




Pumpkin Orange Date Muffin pin

Heather of Based on a True Story, hosts a group called Foodies Read and decided to try a new theme for our group by making a Bingo board for us to fill out.  Regular readers of this blog are very familiar with Foodies Read as I link up to it several times a month. 

Foodies Read Bingo


I am running out of categories on my bingo card so I specifically went in search of a book that had a Food Truck in it.  I found just what I was looking for on my Kindle Unlimited.  Poison in the Pastries was the perfect pick.  Not only is it the first in a series of novels featuring Darla's Delectable Pastries Food Truck but, being a cozy mystery, I read it in a couple of hours while riding in the car to my son's house for Thanksgiving.  Then to make it even better, there were muffins in the storyline and I had already made these muffins to share today.  I love when all my blogging events come together like that!!

Poison in the Pastries

This first book of the series introduces us to Darla who has just embarked on her dream of owning a food truck.  Like all cozy mysteries, there is a murder and the protagonist is determined to solve the crime.  There are fun, likable characters and amusing banter going on throughout the story.  

In this novel, the murderer uses one of Darla's muffins to poison the victim.  This gives Darla all the incentive she needs to quickly find the culprit and put this murder to rest before it causes her business to fail before it ever gets going.

I am having fun with this challenge. To date, I have shared the following recipes and reviews:
We just got home from spending the Thanksgiving Holiday with our eldest son who lives in Virginia.  It was very nice being able to be with him at the start of this Holiday season as he is unable to be home for Christmas this year.  He made us an amazing feast.  The only problem is.....I'm used to having planned leftovers for the week following Thanksgiving.  

Since I don't have leftovers this year, I had to think about what I'm serving up so I can get to the grocery store today in between dropping the dogs off at the groomers.  We had family dinner with the other kids and their families on Sunday before we left to go to Chuck's.  Nicole and Pierre were unable to make this dinner so we are meeting them for dinner tonight when they get off work.  Thursday we are hanging out with Bob and Cathy enjoying the "D" that is all decked out for the holidays.

What's on your menu this week?

Monday
Out for dinner with Nicole and Pierre

Taco Tuesday

Wednesday
Cornbread

Thursday
Out with Friends

Fish Friday
Cashew Shrimp



Breads, Muffins, Breakfast, Brunch, Snacks
Breads
American
Yield: 12 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Pumpkin, Orange, and Date Muffins

Pumpkin, Orange, and Date Muffins

These muffins are an explosion of flavor with citrus in the forefront and earthy pumpkin and dates in the background.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 20 MinTotal time: 30 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 navel orange
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 3/4 c. flour
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 1 t. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/3 c. butter, diced
  • 1/2 c. chopped dried dates
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c. pumpkin puree

Instructions

  1. Use a vegetable peeler to remove the rind from the orange and place it into a food processor. Squeeze the juice from the orange into a measuring cup and set aside.
  2. Add the sugar to the food processor with the rind and pulse, processing until finely grated.
  3. Open the food processor and add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Pulse a few times to combine.
  4. Add the butter pieces and pulse 4 or 5 times until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in the dates.
  5. Whisk together the egg, 1/3 cup of the reserved juice (add water to make 1/3 c. if needed), and pumpkin.
  6. Add the pumpkin mixture to the food processor and process for about 10 seconds, just until combined.
  7. Divide the batter between 12 muffin cups that have been treated with baking spray and bake in a preheated 375* oven for about 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe from Kroger

Nutrition Facts

Calories

184.95

Fat (grams)

6.14 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.54 g

Carbs (grams)

30.27 g

Fiber (grams)

1.85 g

Net carbs

28.43 g

Sugar (grams)

13.95 g

Protein (grams)

3.34 g

Sodium (milligrams)

283.34 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

40.84 mg









14 comments:

  1. Great flavor combo, Wendy! Thanksgiving leftovers are wonderful for transforming into so many dishes so I feel for you, not having any. I'm so glad you were able to spend time with your son though. Totally worth not having leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was Stacy and we ate our fill of leftovers before heading home LOL.....

      Delete
  2. What a fun idea and the muffins sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flavors in these muffins sound so delicious Wendy and perfect for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to start meal planning. I'm usually deciding what to make at the very last minute! These muffins sound wonderful and a great way to us up leftover puree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pumpkin orange and dates wonderful combination. I haven't tried this combo. I need to give it a try. Your recipe is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the flavors in those muffins. I totally missed linking up with Foodies Read for awhile so I was just made aware of the bingo. I doubt I would have the fortitude to read all in certain genres. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I will finish, it's getting to be very busy around here. Thank goodness for audible books.

      Delete
  7. You're doing really well on the bingo. I'm not doing so well because I was doing Nonfiction November and SciFiMonth and didn't get a lot of food books for those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you managed 3 reading events in one month. I'm having a hard time with 1 reading event in 3 months LOL

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.