Friday, November 3, 2023

Wine Braised Pork Loin and a 2019 Travaglini Gattinara #ItalianFWT

We kicked off the Holiday Entertaining Season here on the Farm with the Food and Wine of Piedmont (Piemont), Italy.

Wine Braised Pork Loin and Gattinara Wine

The Italian Food, Wine, and Travel group are heading to Piedmont and the Valle d'Aosta this month....

Camilla of Culinary Cam is hosting and you can learn more about this area and how to join in the X chat being held this morning at 11 AM ET in her invitation post.  Here are some of the topics that will be discussed......


Tavaglini Gattinara Wine

I opened a bottle of 2019 Travagilini Gattinara for this event.  Made from Nebbiolo grapes by the Travaglini family at their estate in Gattinara this bottle sells for about $40 and is, in my opinion, well worth spending the extra money, especially if serving at a nice dinner party.

It is a light wine, reminiscent of Pinot Noir, that pairs very nicely with pork or roasted poultry but is bold enough to pair with red meats as well.  I found a recipe from Piedmont for pork roast braised in red wine.  I did not use this Gattinara for the braise.  Any dry red wine will do.  

Wine Braised Pork Loin

I made this pork loin as the entree for a dinner party that I had with our neighbors to celebrate my neighbor, Michelle's birthday.  Dinner started with a delicious Sweet Potato Soup, followed by a Squash Salad with Tahini Vinaigrette.  A Root Vegetable Gratin rounded out the entree and Cranberry White Chocolate Blondies were the perfect ending. The Gattinara wine was served with the entire meal and I was very pleased with the pairing.  



Entrees, Braising, Pork
Entrees, Pork
Italian
Yield: 10 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Wine Braised Pork Loin Roast

Wine Braised Pork Loin Roast

Boneless pork loin roast braised in a red wine tomato sauce until cooked to a tender perfection.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 2 H & 30 MTotal time: 2 H & 35 M

Ingredients

  • 1 4-5 lb boneless pork loin roast
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 T. dried Italian Herbs
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 c. dry red wine
  • 1/2 c. tomato paste

Instructions

  1. Wash and pat dry the pork roast. Combine the olive oil, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper to make a paste. Rub over the roast and allow to come to room temperature.
  2. Heat a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. When hot, add the pork loin roast and cook, searing it on all sides until browned. Add 1 cup of the wine, cover and let cook until most of the wine has evaporated.
  3. Remove the roast to a plate. Combine the tomato paste and the remaining cup of wine. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Return the roast to the pan, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until tender and an internal temperature of 165 is reached.
  4. Remove meat to a cutting board, tent with foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving with the sauce from the pan.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

305.34

Fat (grams)

8.86 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

2.47 g

Carbs (grams)

4.43 g

Fiber (grams)

0.77 g

Net carbs

3.65 g

Sugar (grams)

1.63 g

Protein (grams)

41.33 g

Sodium (milligrams)

212.1 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

114.3 mg

10 comments:

  1. It's interesting to see the different versions of Piedmont outside what we all are use to in Barolo and Barbaresco. I bet it paired lovely with that pork

    ReplyDelete
  2. This pairing sounds perfect! You are getting me in the holiday mood! I feel like I have heard of Gattinara before, and I do love Nebbiolo. I might need to search and treat myself to a bottle of this wine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I first saw your title, I thought that Gattinara was going to be an indigenous grape. Regardless, I love Nebbiolo. I can't wait to see if I can track down a bottle to try. And that pork looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to feature a Nebbiolo outside of the 'usual' regions, and a nice reminder about how versatile pork is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Gattinara is always a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to agree with you. This bottle was certainly lovely.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.