Sunday, November 12, 2023

Leftover Pork Ragu #SundayFunday

This warm, comforting bowl of pasta smothered in a hearty ragu started with leftover pork loin roast from a dinner enjoyed earlier in the week.  

Pork Ragu over Pasta

The Sunday Funday Bloggers are cleaning out their refrigerators this week.......
Sunday Funday logo

Sneha of Sneha's Recipe invited us to join her in sharing recipes that use up leftovers and help you clean out your refrigerator.   Let's take a look at what everyone is sharing today......

Pork Ragu

Each week I prepare a Menu of dinners that I will be serving.  This helps me with my grocery shopping, helps me to incorporate blogging events, and also keeps me from standing in front of the refrigerator when I'm starving trying to figure out what to make.

These menus often include planned leftovers, in which I make extras for one meal to use the leftovers in a second and sometimes a third meal.  Such was the case for this dish that I am sharing with you today.

Wine Braised Pork Loin

I made this Wine Braised Pork Loin for a dinner party that I was having.  I put the leftover slices of pork and the remaining sauce into the refrigerator to make this pasta for dinner when we celebrated our niece, Danielle's birthday a few days later.

You can make this ragu with any leftover meats that you have in your refrigerator.  I have used leftover prime rib, leftover beef roast, leftover sausages, and leftover chicken in making what is commonly called Sunday Gravy.

Pork Ragu pin



You simply cook your aromatics, add some tomatoes or tomato sauce, put in your leftover meat and let it cook low and slow until your house smells amazing and the meat is falling apart.  In today's recipe I used a jar of my Farmstand Marinara as the base for the sauce but you can use your own version of Marinara or your favorite store-bought brand.


Entrees, Pasta, Pork, Sauce, Ragu,
Entrees, Pasta
Italian
Yield: 6 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Leftover Pork Ragu

Leftover Pork Ragu

This warm, comforting bowl of pasta smothered in a hearty ragu started with leftover pork loin roast from a dinner enjoyed earlier in the week.
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 4 HourTotal time: 4 H & 15 M

Ingredients

  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 large carrot, scraped and diced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 T. tomato paste
  • 1/2 c. wine
  • 1 1/2 t. dried Italian Seasoning
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 qt. Marinara Sauce
  • Leftover pork loin roast, sliced + any reserved liquid or gravy from the roast
  • vegetable broth, as needed
  • 1 lb. pasta of choice, cooked per package directions

Instructions

  1. In a large pot, I used a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over med-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the fragrant and the vegetables start to soften.
  2. Add the garlic, cook and stir for 30 seconds, until fragrant, then stir in the tomato paste, coating the vegetables.
  3. Add the wine to the pot and cook, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan until the wine is nearly evaporated.
  4. Add the Marinara sauce and any reserved liquid or gravy to the pot and stir in the dried Italian Herb mixture.
  5. Bring to a boil and then add the pork slices to the sauce, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 2-3 hours, stirring and adding broth as needed, if the sauce is too thick.
  6. Uncover the pot and use a wooden spoon to break the pork into small pieces, it should easily fall apart at this point. Continue to simmer, uncovered, while you cook the pasta to your desired consistency.
  7. Drain the pasta, place in a serving bowl and cover with the ragu to serve.

Nutrition Facts

Calories

236.87

Fat (grams)

5.95 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.86 g

Carbs (grams)

37.29 g

Fiber (grams)

4.83 g

Net carbs

32.45 g

Sugar (grams)

8.32 g

Protein (grams)

6.96 g

Sodium (milligrams)

974.38 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

0.1 mg

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful meal you have made with leftovers Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking at this yummy dish and wonder one thing....when I am going to put this on my menu! I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I love that this has pork in it. Maybe next weekend I'll have to make a pork loin so that we can use the leftovers for this. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.