Thursday, July 27, 2023

Sharing a Steak, the Weekly Menu and a Walk with Grandma Gatewood

Delmonico steaks come from the section between the Ribeye and the Strip Steak.  It is well-marbled and very delicious.  I grilled some up and topped them with a sauce made of Balsamic Onions and Steak Sauce that I found on the Food Network from Racheal Ray.

Delmonico Steak with Homemade Steak Sauce
I had never had Delmonico's before but when I picked up my freezer beef this year there were several packages of this cut.  I had, of course, heard of the cut.  There is a famous steakhouse called Delmonico's but I had never seen it on any menus or in the grocers here.  I went onto a Google search to learn more about this cut and found a recipe by Rachael Ray that sounded so good I decided to make it.

That was back in May and the steaks were delicious.  I loved the sauce so I took some photos and they have been sitting in my archives waiting to be shared.

Grandma Gatewoods Walk

Then I picked up the book, Grandma Gatewood's Walk, which had been sitting in my TBR pile.  I had gotten the book for Amy as one of her Christmas gifts as she and I are planning a "walk" on the AT in the fall of next year.  She gave it back to me to read shortly thereafter and onto my pile it went.

This is a very easy read, I spent one afternoon lounging in the pool with my book and enjoying every minute of the book, only pulling myself away long enough to share snippets with Frank.  Emma Gatewood survived a terrible, violent marriage that resulted in 11 children.  When Emma was 67, divorced and the children were grown and gone she told them she was going for a "walk".  That walk started at the beginning of the Appalachian Trail and ended 2050 miles later when she reached Maine's Mount KathadinKatahdin.

Emma was alone on the walk and carried nothing more than a homemade satchel weighing about 17 lbs that she slung over her shoulder.  I was astounded at her perseverance and stamina.  I will be 66 when we do our little 4-day trip of day hikes while staying in luxurious inns at night.  Amy and I will have guides with us, cell phones, air pods, walking sticks, hiking boots, and all meals provided.

Emma Gatewood had tennis shoes, canned Vienna sausages, bouillon cubes, and, taking this first walk in 1955, no electronics or a way to contact anyone for help should she need it.  Emma Gatewood went on to do this hike twice more, the second time the entire 2000 miles on time and the third in sections.  She also hiked the entire 2000 Miles of the Oregon Trail at age 71.  Truly amazing.

Emma Gatewood ran into many wonderful people while hiking the trail and many invited her to join them for dinner and stay the night.  Emma also occasionally walked into towns and stayed in hotels where she was able to shower, sleep in a bed and have a dinner that was not from a can or forage from the woods.  Several times steaks were mentioned, reminding me that I had this recipe in my archives.

Steaks and Wine

I paired my steaks with a bottle of Hawk and Horse Cabernet Sauvignon from California.  Grandma Gatewood is a teetotaler, another huge difference between us LOL.

70 over 70



This story inspired me to learn more about the remarkable things people have done after they are considered "old".  I am turning 65 this year and just received my Medicare card. I am much too young to be considered old!!!!  I found a podcast on Apple called 70 Over 70. This podcast was made by Max Linsky during the COVID epidemic.  Max interviews 70 remarkable people over the age of 70.  They are much too young to be considered old, as well.  If you are approaching retirement age and looking for inspiration about what you can do now..... some great, inspirational stories are being shared.

Speaking of sharing, it is time for the Weekly Menu.  Frank is having a CPL class on Sunday so my menu reflects breakfast and lunch for the students.  

Tuesday the St. Clair Sheriff's Department is having an Ice Cream Fundraiser that we will attend.  We will have dinner out afterward.

Saturday
Banh Mi Burgers

Sunday-CPL Class
Breakfast
Blueberry Basil Jam Muffins
Hard Boiled Eggs
Fruit Salad
Lunch
Grilled Chicken Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
Dinner
Marinated Venison Steaks
Grilled Potato Planks
Broccoli Slaw

Meatless Monday
Joan's Quesadillas

Tuesday
Dinner out 

Wednesday
Chicken and Vegetable Skewers
Steamed Rice

Thursday

Fish Friday



Sauces, Steaks, Tomato, Onions, Garlic
Sauces
American
Yield: 1 cup
Author: Wendy Klik
Homemade Steak Sauce

Homemade Steak Sauce

This steak sauce is much better than that bottled sauce you buy from the store and only takes moments to make.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 10 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 t. olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 slice Vidalia onion, minced
  • 1/4 c. dry white wine
  • 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
  • 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions

  1. Cook the onions and garlic in the oil in a small saucepan set over medium heat for a few minutes until tender.
  2. Add the wine, and cook until reduced by half, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
  3. Add the tomato sauce, season with salt and pepper, and cook for a few minutes longer.
  4. Can be served warm or at room temperature.

Notes

adapted from a recipe by Rachael Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.