Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Rhubarb Ice Cream #IceCreamSocial

Still working on getting rid of that rhubarb that is going crazy in your garden?  Look no further.  This creamy, delicious dessert will have you using it all up in no time!!

Rhubarb Ice Cream

The Festive Foodies are having an Ice Cream Social.......
Jolene of Jolene's Recipe Journal is hosting this annual event.  Let's take a look at all the deliciousness being shared today......

  • No Churn Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream by Hezzi-D's Recipe Box
  • Homemade Vanilla Superfudge Brownie by Jolene's Recipe Journal
  • Ice Cream Sandwich Dessert by Palatable Pastime
  • Rhubarb Ice Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
  • Easy Vanilla Bean Funfetti Milkshake Recipe by Blogghetti
  • No Churn Toasted Coconut Pistachio Ice Cream by The Spiffy Cookie
  • Vanilla Bean Ice Cream with Sour Cherries by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
  • Tahini Chocolate Chunk No Churn Ice Cream by Karen's Kitchen Stories
  • Banana Banshee CocktaiI by Art of Natural Living
  • No Churn Salted Caramel Pecan Ice Cream by That Recipe
  • Cherry Falooda by Magical Ingredients



  • ingredients for rhubarb ice cream

    There are two steps to this ice cream, the rhubarb puree and the custard, both of which must be completely chilled before churning.  I started my ice cream the day before I wanted to make it.  I then put it into my handy dandy ice cream maker in the morning so that the ice cream had a chance to harden for scooping by the time I was ready to serve dessert.

    cake and ice cream

    I served this ice cream on top of a Strawberry Rhubarb Dump Cake that I had made.  It was perfect!!!!

    Rhubarb Ice Cream pin

    I am so happy that I found this recipe.  My rhubarb was not quite so prolific as in year's past but I still had enough to satisfy our cravings and to put some up in the freezer to make during the cold season when we need a bit of sunshine in our lives.  

    Here are some of my favorite rhubarb recipes for you to enjoy.  Rhubarb Thumprints, Rhubarb and Berry Cobbler, Strawberry Rhubarb Bundt Cake, and Rhubarb Crumble.


    I hope you are enjoying your summer and that you find a great ice cream recipe today to help you beat the heat.......





    Desserts, Ice Cream, Rhubarb
    Desserts, Ice Cream
    American
    Yield: 8 servings
    Author: Wendy Klik
    Rhubarb Ice Cream

    Rhubarb Ice Cream

    Creamy, delicious, sweet and tart. Everything a dessert should be.
    Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 1 HourInactive time: 8 HourTotal time: 9 H & 15 M

    Ingredients

    • 4 c. chopped rhubarb
    • 1/4 c. sugar
    • juice of 1/2 lemon
    • 1 egg +2 egg yolks
    • 2/3 c. sugar
    • 3 c. half and half (light cream)
    • 1 t. vanilla

    Instructions

    1. Place the rhubarb, 1/4 c. sugar and lemon juice in a pan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring often until the rhubarb softens and breaks down and mixture is thickened.
    2. Remove from heat and let cool slightly, then place into a food processor and puree until smooth. Chill several hours or overnight.
    3. Whisk the egg, egg yolks, 2/3 c. sugar and 1 cup of the cream in a small bowl until combined. Set aside.
    4. Heat the remaining 2 cups of cream in a sauce pan until simmering. Drizzle about a 1/2 cup of the hot cream into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, to temper it.
    5. Add the tempered eggs to the saucepan on the stove and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture starts to thicken but before it comes to a boil.
    6. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl and stir in the vanilla. Chill for at least eight hours or overnight.
    7. Blend together the rhubarb puree and custard and place into an ice cream maker. Churn according to manufacturer's directions and then place into a container. Lay a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the soft ice cream and place in the freezer until hard.

    Notes

    adapted from a recipe found at The View from Great Island

    Nutrition Facts

    Calories

    229.09

    Fat (grams)

    11.24 g

    Sat. Fat (grams)

    6.62 g

    Carbs (grams)

    29.77 g

    Fiber (grams)

    1.11 g

    Net carbs

    28.66 g

    Sugar (grams)

    27.42 g

    Protein (grams)

    3.76 g

    Sodium (milligrams)

    59.18 mg

    Cholesterol (grams)

    56.06 mg

    14 comments:

    1. Oh, how I miss my rhubarb plant! Although, if it were still alive, it would have been flooded last week. We've been having a bit of bad luck with water around here lately!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. My crop didn't do to well this year either. The weather got too hot too fast I think,

        Delete
    2. Love rhubarb and this sounds great! I added a few more plants this year so hopefully I'll be able to bank some in the freezer in the future.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, it is a great way to enjoy summer during the cold weather.

        Delete
    3. This sounds so good! I love rhubarb and this sounds like a great recipe to use it in!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Completely jealous of your rhubarb. Whenever I need it, I have to hunt it down out here. Last time I froze a ton and then my fridge died, lol!!! This is on a future menu here for sure.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh no....I hope you are able to find some. Have you looked for frozen?

        Delete
    5. Oh yes! Another great idea to use rhubarb! Hubby will be pleaed.

      ReplyDelete
    6. This is brilliant! Why isn't this everywhere!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Love this brilliant flavor of the ice cream!

      ReplyDelete

    I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.