Friday, July 21, 2023

Blue Cheese Sauce to put on that Steak you are Grilling Up to Pair with a Malbec Wine #WorldWineTravel

This sauce is sooooo good that I had to stop myself from eating it with a spoon so that there was enough left for guests to enjoy with their steaks.  Sweet Vidalia onion caramelized in butter and then combined with Blue Cheese and Cream for a decadent, savory sauce.

Steak in Blue Cheese Sauce with Malbec

A sauce this creamy and delicious demands a strong wine and this Malbec from Argentina was up to the task.......
Malbec Wine

I love a strong, deep, dark wine so I always have a couple of bottles of Malbec on hand.  Malbec is a full bodied red wine grown mostly in Argentina but this same grape is allowed ot be used in France's Bordeaux blends.  

I enjoy this single varietal bottles from Argentina and Chile myself.  I am a member of the WSJ Wine Club and they, knowing my wine preferences, often include bottles of Malbec the smoky, dark wine from South America.

When Deanna from Wineivore invited the members of our World Wine Travel group to join her in exploring the Native Grapes of South America, I knew that I was going to open a bottle of Malbec.  I went into my wine refrigerator and pulled out this bottle from the mountain tops of Mendoza, Argentina.  

Malbec is not really native to Argentina but was brought by French immigrants where it was discovered that the high altititudes and sunshine were perfect for growing this grape that was often too tannic to drink without blending when grown in France.  It has become the signature red grape for Argentina with good reason.

Steak on Blue Cheese Sauce

Steak is a natural pairing with Malbec.  After all, Argentina is the beef capital of the world.  I have served it with a Grilled Steak Salad, Flank Steak with Argentina Spices,  and many steaks that have not made it onto the blog.  

I was having a dinner party and was grilling steaks to serve to my guests along with the wine.  I found a recipe for Blue Cheese Sauce by Ree Drummond and knew that the wine would pair nicely with the meal.  

Inverted Flamingo winery is located in Argentina's capital that is known for excellent red wines. This bottle is available through WSJ Wine for $15 and is a steal having received a gold medal from Gilbert & Gaillard who are a wine media group established in over 22 countries.

Deanna may host a chat for us to gather and talk more about the native wines of  South America.  Malbec is only one of our options.  South America is also known for Torrontes, Pais, Criolla, Bonarda and Tannat.  Hmmmm....perhaps it is time for me to check out some of those other varietals.

Let's take a look at what wines are being discussed in our group today.  Then I think an outing to Total Wine may be in the picture so I can explore some more LOL........

Sauces, blue cheese, onions, cream
Sauces
American
Yield: 1 1/2 cup sauce
Author: Wendy Klik
Blue Cheese Sauce for Steaks

Blue Cheese Sauce for Steaks

Caramlized onions in cream and blue cheese make a perfect bed for your favorite grilled steak.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 15 MinTotal time: 20 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced
  • 4 T. butter
  • 1 c. heavy cream
  • 1/2 c. blue cheese crumbles

Instructions

  1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
  2. Stir in the cream and sprinkle in the cheese. Cook and stir for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.
  3. Serve with Grilled Steaks allowing guests to add their own sauce as desired.

Notes

adapted from a recipe by Ree Drummond.

8 comments:

  1. What a striking bottle! Love blue cheese with Malbec.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my that sauce does sound decadent and kind of amazing with a Malbec. That's so cool you're a member of the WSJ wine club too! Thanks for sharing a selection this month along with that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. can just imagine this sauce on the steak with a powerful Malbec. Sounds very Wendy and very delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.