Saturday, January 12, 2019

A Taste of Argentina #WinePW

This steak is redolent with warm spices, grilled to perfection and topped with a salsa criolla.  It was the main course for an Argentian food and wine pairing.


Join me and the gang from Wine Pairing Weekend as we explore Argentina......


Our host this month is Jeff of Food Wine Click.  He invited us explore some amazing wines from Argentina.  This is his preview post.

We received some wonderful wines from Winesellers Ltd. for the purposes of this pairing.  All opinions and thoughts are completely mine.


I received 6 bottles of wine for this event.  I am showcasing just two of them today.  I will be sharing my thoughts on the others as I open them.


The first bottle I opened,  Zuccardi Q Malbec, was served with an appetizer platter during the Holidays.  This 2016 vintage is 100% Malbec selected from vineyards in Vista Flores and La Consulta.  It is deep in color and heavy with herbal notes. It paired perfectly with the cheeses and charcuterie with which it was served. 


I opened the Santa Julia 2017 Mountain Blend to pair with the recipe I'm sharing today. This wine is 70% Malbec, 30% Cab Fran and 100% Delicious!!!!  With a retail price of only $13 this wine drinks like a much more pricey bottle.  I loved it with the meal but I loved it even more on it's own.  This is my kind of wine, dry, fruity and spicy.  YUM

We are going to be discussing our wine choices and pairings today at 11 AM ET.  You can join us on twitter following #WinePW.  Here are the titles and topics the others are sharing and talking about today.



I made a complete Argentinian Meal of this wonderful flank steak that was marinated and then grilled to caramelized perfection.  


Once the steak is grilled to your liking, let it rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving with the Salsa Criolla.  Salsa Criolla is not as well known as Chimichurri but I like it even better.  The bright flavors of tomato, onion and red pepper combine to complement the spicy sweet rub on the steak


I made a side of Arroz Verde and warmed some tortillas.  We ate these as steak tacos adding some extra Salsa Criolla, shredded cheese and sour cream.  It was a wonderful, flavorful, weeknight meal.


I will be sharing my recipe for Arroz Verde later in the month.  I also used the leftover steak and salsa to make a breakfast later in the week so stay tuned for that.


#steak, #salsa,
Entree, Beef, Grilling, Steak
Argentinian
Yield: 4 servingsPin it

Argentine Spice Rubbed Flank Steak with Salsa Criolla

This steak is redolent with warm spices, grilled to perfection and topped with a salsa criolla.

ingredients:


  • 1 (2 lb) Flank Steak
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 t. dried thyme
    salt and pepper, to taste
    1 t. chili powder
    1 t. brown sugar
    1 T. olive oil
    1 tomato, seeded and diced
    1 small sweet onion, diced
    1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1/2 c. olive oil
    1/3 c. white wine vinegar

instructions:


  1. Combine the garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, chili powder and  brown sugar with the olive oil.  Spread over both sides of the flank steak.  Cover and refrigerate for at least for hours or overnight.

    Combine the tomato, onion, bell pepper, olive oil, and vinegar in a small bowl.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Stir to combine, cover and chill for up to 3 days.

    Remove steak and salsa from refrigerator and bring to room temperature.

    Heat a grill pan over high heat.  Cook the steak for 5 minutes on the first side, until grill marks occur and marinade caramelizes.  Turn the steak over and cook for another 5-10 minutes for med rare or until desired temperature, reducing heat if necessary to completed cooking time.

    Allow steak to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving topped with the Salsa.

NOTES:

Recipe adapted from Fine Cooking.
Created using The Recipes Generator



17 comments:

  1. You really know how to do it up right! That looks delicious, I love a good wine with dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not heard of salsa criolla before, it sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very good. I was excited to go outside of the chimichurri box.

      Delete
  3. I can taste the mountain blend with the steak. This is a great pairing, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your salsa criolla sounds really good and a nice change from chimichurri for sure. I'm making a note. Great pairing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your recipe Wendy! I'll keep an eye out for that second Santa Julia wine. It sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flank steak with Argentine wines is a classic and I love that you introduced a twist and served it with salsa criolla!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect dish for Argentine wine! Looks like you had a great meal and great pairing on your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a tasty steak recipe, especially with these wines!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like an absolutely delicious combo!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.