Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Avocado and Melon Crudo inspired by The Dinner List and the Weekly Menu

I recently enjoyed reading a book called The Dinner List.  It is a different kind of story and I didn't quite understand if Sabrina was having a mystical, magical, surreal dinner or just a dream about the dinner.  Either way it was a good, interesting read.  Perfect for the beach or lounging in the pool.

The Dinner List

Sabrina is celebrating her 30th birthday and her best friend, Jessica, is surprising her with a birthday dinner consisting of all the people Sabrina has listed as wishing to have dinner with.  She walks in to find Audrey Hepburn, her absent from her life father, Robert, Professor Conrad whom she admired in college, and Tobias, her ex boyfriend.

As the dinner goes on it becomes apparant that subconsciously Sabrina chose these people to be on her list for very specific reasons.  At first I thought that all of the people at dinner, other than Sabrina were no longer living and all a part of her past.  That is not the case.  

This is what confused me, making me wonder whether it was a dream or just a surreal experience.  All of the people on my list are deceased.  If there is someone living that I would like to have dinner with I will just call them and invite them on over.

I not only enjoyed the novel but I also spent time afterwards, floating in the pool and thinking about the five people in my life that I would like to invite to a dinner party.  There are, of course, many more than five people that I would give anything to spend some time with again but that wasn't an option.

My list consists of Pope John Paul, Jacqueline Kennedy Onnasis, Kirsten, Pops, Father Rooney.  These are all people whom I greatly admired and in the case of Pops, Kirsten and Father Rooney, miss terribly.  These are the people I would look to for advice and direction in life.  In the case of Pope John Paul and Jacqueline Kennedy that direction comes from trying to emulate their actions and responses to people and events in their lives.

Since it is a dinner party, there is quite a bit of food listed in the story, but the first thing ordered (by Audrey Hepburn) is Crudo.  This dinner takes place in an Italian Restaurant and Crudo in Italian means raw.  

Avocado and Melon Crudo

In this article, found in Bon Appetit, we are told that while crudo is often made of fish, seafood or meat, you can also showcase vegetables in a crudo recipe.  They also provided the recipe that I have slightly adapted and am sharing with you today.  

girl on slide in pool

I took this Crudo to my daughter, Amy's, house where we were celebrating her recent install of an inground pool.  I thought it was appropriate that this dish that was inspired in a novel about a dinner party that was read while lounging in a pool was served at a dinner party while enjoying a pool.  

I am sharing this post over at Foodies Read.  Stop by and see what the others are reading this month.


Appetizers, Salads, First Courses
Salads
Italian
Yield: 6 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Avocado and Melon Crudo

Avocado and Melon Crudo

Crudo doesn't have to be raw fish, seafood or meat. You can also add a strong, flavorful, dressing to mild fruits and vegetables for an interesting take on a classic dish.
Prep time: 15 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

  • 5 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 t. ginger paste
  • 1 t. anchovy paste
  • pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 T. white wine vinegar
  • juice of 1 lime
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 honeydew melon, seeded, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
  • 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and cut into bite size chunks
  • 1/4 of a small vidalia onion, thinly sliced
  • leaves of 1 stem mint, coarsely chopped

Instructions

  1. Heat 1 Tablespoon of the oil in a small skillet over medium low heat. Add the garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper and anchovy. Cook, stirring constantly for about 30 seconds, until anchovy is melted and ingredients are combined. Remove from heat to a large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
  2. Add the remaining olive oil, vinegar and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and whisk until emulsified.
  3. Add the avocado to the bowl and toss with the vinaigrette to prevent browning. Add the melon, onion and mint and gently toss until combined and coated. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter and serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Bon Appetit

Nutrition Facts

Calories

258.33

Fat (grams)

21.78 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.1 g

Carbs (grams)

17.06 g

Fiber (grams)

5.49 g

Net carbs

11.55 g

Sugar (grams)

9.89 g

Protein (grams)

2.37 g

Sodium (milligrams)

95.16 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

0.85 mg

2 comments:

  1. Judee from Gluten Free A-Z Blog: The combination of using melon and avocado is very unusual to me. I'm going to have to give this delicious looking vegan dish a try.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.