The recipe I am sharing today was prepared on the 29th of September. Boy, what a difference one week makes!! It is overcast and rainy with highs in the low 60's. A perfect day for a warm, comforting bowl of soup.
I adapted this recipe from The Fast Metabolism Diet Cookbook by Haylie Pomroy. This is a Phase 1 friendly soup and when eaten with a slice of sprouted grain toast or sprouted grain tortilla makes a complete Phase 1 meal. You are allowed 2 full cups for a Phase 1 meal.
adapted from The Fast Metabolism Diet
1 lg. leek, halved, rinsed and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. pumpkin puree
1 lg. sweet potato, baked, peeled and cut into chunks
3 mini or 1 large orange bell peppers, seeded and diced
6 c. vegetable or chicken stock ( I used a mixture of each)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 T. tamari
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground cumin
salt to taste
cilantro for garnish, if desired
Place the leeks and garlic in a non stick skillet over med heat. Add 1/4 c. stock or water and cook until tender and liquid is cooked away. Set aside.
Place the pumpkin, potato, peppers, stock, black beans, ginger and cumin in a large pot. Place over med high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add the leeks and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Puree the soup using an immersion blender or putting it (in batches if necessary) into a regular blender until smooth. Return to pot, taste and season with salt. Rewarm gently. Garnish each bowl with cilantro if desired. Print Recipe
Day 2 of Pumpkin Week
- Ginger Pumpkin Leek Soup from A Day in the Life on the Farm.
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread from Gluten Free Crumbley.
- Lula Na Morango from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
- Old Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies from Family Around The Table.
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls from The Redhead Baker.
- Pumpkin Doughnut Holes from The Freshman Cook.
- Pumpkin Fudge from Palatable Pastime.
- Pumpkin Grilled Cheese with Apples and Cheddar from Making Miracles.
- Pumpkin Ooey Gooey Cake from Cooking With Carlee.
- Pumpkin Sage Cloverleaf Rolls from The Crumby Cupcake