Sunday, September 25, 2016

Mujaddara, Majadara, Majadra, Mejadra....Lentils and Rice #SundaySupper

However you spell it.....

However you pronounce it......

However you season it.....

Whatever color lentils you use.....

Whether you use white rice or brown rice.....

You always get great results with this delicious dish of Lentils and Rice that originated in the Middle East.  It is one of my favorite things to order when eating out and it makes a perfect Meatless Monday meal and is also wonderful as a side dish for Shwarma Chicken or Shish Kebab.

So when the folks over at Sunday Supper Movement told us that it was World Vegetarian Day this was the first dish that popped into my mind.  I could easily and happily be a vegetarian if I got to eat like this every day.  Well, not really, but I could go meatless more often than just on Mondays LOL.

There are as many different recipes for this dish as there are spellings and pronunciations but the bottom line is that you want to have caramelized and crispy onions, lentils, rice and some traditional Middle Eastern seasonings.



I never make mine the same way twice.  This time I used red onions but I have used yellow, white and sweet onions too.  I had some leftover brown rice but have used white long grain and basmati rice before.  Sometimes leftover, sometimes cooked along with the onions and lentils.  I used brown lentils this time and precooked them as I was using leftover rice.  You can use precooked lentils as well.  Season with garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne, cinnamon or any other seasonings you love. Use a little or a lot....it is up to you.  This is one of those recipes that you can't ruin and you can easily make your own according to your tastes and what's available in your pantry and fridge.  Enjoy!!

Mujaddara

1 c. lentils, cooked per package directions
1/4 c. olive oil
1 lg. red onion, sliced thin
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 t. cumin
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1 c. brown rice, cooked per package directions
1/2 c. vegetable broth

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med heat.  Add the onions, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring for 15-20 minutes, until softened and caramelized.  Add the lentils, rice, cumin, cayenne and broth.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Print Recipe

More Great Vegetable Recipes

Appetizers
Desserts
Entrees
Sides

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

18 comments:

  1. This was always on rotation at university, and for good reason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't care how you pronounce it either I love the combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my. I've never heard of this, but I'm loving the simple flavors and ingredients!! Can't wait to give this a try!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is one of my favorite MiddleEastern dishes Liz. Sooooo good.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes it is the simple things in life which bring the most satisfaction, right? Your meal of lentils, brown rice with onion and spices seems to be one of those delights =) Thank you for this Middle Eastern dish which is do-able in Middle America or anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect meal for meatless Mondays. I grew up with pasta and lentils ...another starch ...but same principle ...and easier to pronounce ;)
    Great post! Thanks for sharing ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the versatility of this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yumm. I've never made this but I will definitely give it a try. Looks so easy, tasty and very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lentils and rice are my go to mix for lunch. My husband is a meat eater so he always has to have some type of meat at dinner but lunch I'm on my own. I love the flavors you have here - I'm going to try this very soon!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.