Sunday, September 11, 2016

Kung Pao Chicken for #SundaySupper

Liz from That Skinny Chick can Bake is hosting Sunday Supper this week and has chosen the theme Easy Skillet Recipes.

Liz says:
"It’s that busy back to school time of year. Let’s celebrate with Easy Skillet Recipes that are on the table in under an hour. By using just one skillet for the whole meal, clean up is a breeze. Who doesn’t need an array of easy recipes with less mess for those busy nights?!"
The skillet I chose to use was a wok but if you don't have a wok any large skillet will do.  Asian food and Stir Fry is a great choice for busy days.  You can do the prep the night before and can have dinner on the table in way less than an hour.  This dish itself takes a mere 15-20 minutes but if you want to serve it over rice it will take 30-45 minutes.



I looked at several recipes on line for Kung Pao chicken, got the idea of what ingredients were necessary and then set off to make my own version.

I served this dish up to guests.  Asian food is also perfect for entertaining.  I had the chicken prepped and marinating in the refrigerator.  The vegetables were prepped and sitting on the counter near the stove.  The sauce was made and sitting next to the veggies.  The rice was in the steamer with the timer set to be ready when I wanted to serve.

When my guests arrived, I was able to sit, share a glass of wine and visit. When dinnertime approached I only needed to leave them in the excellent care of my husband for a few minutes.


I heated some expressed safflower oil in my wok over high heat while I pulled out the chicken and removed it from the marinade.  Into the wok it went where I cooked and stirred until it was white and nearly cooked through, about 7 or 8 minutes.


I added the vegetables, peanuts and sauce.  I continued to stir and fry for another 4-5 minutes. At the end I added the green leafy part of the bok choy and allowed it to wilt a bit before serving.


My husband is very spice sensitive so I made this dish on the mild side.  Feel free to add chile paste to your individual taste.  The recipe I am sharing was part of a buffet to feed 10 adults.  You can easily reduce this recipe but the leftovers make great lunches during the week and are easily reheated in a microwave.

Kung Pao Chicken

3 lbs. chicken breast meat, cut into bite size cubes
1/3 c. white wine (I used a Gruner Veltliner that  I was serving with dinner)
1/3 c. soy sauce
1 T. dark sesame oil
2 T. cooking oil 
3 T. cornstarch
3 T. water
1 T. chile paste (or more to taste)
2 T. rice wine vinegar
1 T. brown sugar
1 bunch green onions, white and light green parts, sliced
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 (8 oz) can water chestnuts, drained
1 head bok choy, chopped, stalks and leaves divided
10 oz. blanched peanut halves

Whisk together the cornstarch and water making a slurry.  Pour half of this mixture into a plastic bag that is able to be sealed along with the wine, soy sauce and sesame oil.  Seal and shake the bag to combine all ingredients.  Add the chicken, releasing the air in the bag so that all pieces are submerged.  Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight.

Whisk the chile paste, rice wine vinegar and brown sugar together with the remaining cornstarch slurry.  Set aside.

Heat the oil (I used expressed safflower oil) in the bottom of a wok or large skillet over high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade and add to the wok.  Cook and stir until chicken is white and nearly cooked through, 7-10 minutes, depending on the size of the chunks.  If using a wok, push chicken up the sides out of the heat.  If using a skillet remove chicken to a plate.  Add the green onions, garlic, waterchestnuts, bok choy stalks and peanuts.  Cook and stir until bok choy is tender. Incorporate the chicken into the vegetable mixture and add the reserved chile sauce.  Cook and stir until well combined and chicken is warmed and cooked through, another minute or two.  Add the leafy part  of the bok choy, stir until combined and wilted.  Serve over steamed rice, if desired.  Print Recipe

Check out all these great one skillet meals!


Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
Favorite Skillet Sides
Favorite Skillet Entrees
Favorite Skillet Desserts

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

12 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! We love Chinese food in our home, but I do not cook it up as much as I should. you have inspired me with this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good! And super simple. My kiddos love eating Chinese!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love Asian stir fries! I'd have to tone down the spices for Bill, but your kung pao chicken looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this very mild for my husband. I would have prefered a bit more kick. Enjoy Liz.

      Delete
  4. You're right, stir fry is sublime when it comes to entertaining. And, yes, I do have a wok so I'm looking forward to trying your keeper recipe =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Asian stir-fries! Like you, I have to keep my recipes mild, because my husband and I can't handle the heat either. This looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore Kung Pao chicken. Can't wait to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.