Friday, September 30, 2016

Apple Pie in a Skillet?....Yes Siree! #AppleWeek

Today is the final day of #AppleWeek.  I have so enjoyed sharing a new apple recipe with you each day and seeing what all the others have shared each day.  My to make list  is getting huge.  I will be breaking in my new kitchen this fall, big time.

Today we are invited to post Anything Apple.  I was hosting a Soup Swap a couple of weeks ago. I invited 3 couples to join us. We all brought soup and I provided a Chopped Apple Salad, some Pumpkin Dinner Rolls and this amazing Apple Pie in a Skillet for dessert.


It was the perfect ending for a casual soup and salad night with friends and it is the perfect ending for this amazing #AppleWeek that we have been sharing with you.  


You start off by caramelizing an assortment of apples in your skillet.  I love using different types of apples in my pies. It gives each bite a different texture and level of sweetness or tartness.  I used some galas, granny smith and honeycrisps in this pie.  


It's easy as can be...after you caramelize the apples, you let them cool for a bit and then you place a pie crust on top of them.  Cut some vent holes and put it in the oven to bake. Once it was baked, I just let it cool right in the skillet.  When it was time for dessert, I brought the skillet to the table and cut into it.  It was a great presentation.


I had eight guests so one pie skillet was the perfect amount. Of course, I am sure had I made two of these pies there would have been no leftovers and absolutely no complaints.  

I want to take a moment to thank Carlee of Cooking with Carlee, for all of her hard work and for allowing me to join in the fun.  Don't forget to scroll past my recipe to the other final shares for this amazing #AppleWeek.


Apple Pie Skillet
adapted from Cuisine at Home

2 T. Butter
6 apples of your choice, (I used 3 varieties) peeled, cored and cut into eighth's.
1/4 c. brown sugar
zest of 1/2 lemon
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1/2 c. apple cider
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 T. corn starch
1 pie crust
1 egg, beaten
1 t. sugar

Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over med heat. Add the apples and brown sugar.  Cook for about 5 minutes until apples begin to soften  Reduce heat to low and stir in the cinnamon, salt and zest. Whisk together the cider, lemon juice and cornstarch.  Add to the apples, cook and stir until thick and glossy, about 5 minutes longer.  Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.  Lay the pie crust over the apples and crimp the edges against the skillet.  Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Cut slits to allow the steam to escape and bake in a preheated 400* oven for 20 minutes, rotate pan and bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving. Print Recipe





Monday: Appetizers and Drinks

Tuesday: Main Dishes and Sides

Wednesday: Sweet Treats

Thursday: Apple Projects

Friday: Anything Apple Goes

16 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I think serving something in a cast iron skillet always makes it a bit better anyway. Something about the looks just screams homey, delicious and eat me!! I have had so much fun seeing everyone's apple recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too Carlee. Thanks again to you and Ellen for all your hard work and allowing me to join in the fun.

      Delete
  2. I really need to invest in a cast iron skillet. Do you cook on an electric stove? Or gas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using cast irons and skillet pies is one of the reasons ;) I've pinned your recipe for later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We bought a peck of apples last weekend that we've been munching on....now I need to get to baking!!!!! Glad to see all the links. Love your pie!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. doesn't it just taste better in a cast iron skillet? Thanks for sharing at Country Fair Blog Party! Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jan and for allowing us to link up.

      Delete
  6. That looks so tasty! I've been looking for a recipe that gives me an excuse to go apple picking - my challenge is always to show enough restraint so that I don't end up with 20 pounds of apples and not nearly enough time to do something with all of them. You've got a great list of recipes here - so maybe 20 pounds of apples wouldn't be so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could easily go through 20 lbs during the season and with all these recipes this week you might actually run out, Ali.

      Delete
  7. Such a easy way to make apple pie and faster too! I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be trying this!! Thank you for sharing at our apple celebration of Celebrate 365 Blog Party!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.