Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Phase 1 Friendly Buckwheat Pancakes with Fresh Peach Puree for #FoodieExtravaganza

Happy Wednesday and Happy Foodie Extravaganza Day.  Foodie Extravaganza is a monthly occurrence in which we take turns hosting and choosing a food to celebrate that is honored by a holiday during the month.  We find our choices at The Nibble. This month I want to thank Caroline of Caroline's Cooking for hosting but especially for choosing Pancakes.



National Pancake day is September 26th so you will be ready to celebrate with tons of delicous recipes that we are sharing with you today.  September is also National Breakfast month and National Whole Grain Month.  So Pancakes are the perfect choice and, if you have kids, is the perfect breakfast with which to send them to school, ready to start their day.

I don't have any children left at home but this was still a perfect choice for me.  Monday I began Round 2 of an eating plan called The Healthy Metabolism Diet.  This eating plan lasts 28 days and each week is divided into three phases.  Phase 1 that spans Monday and Tuesday each week requires you too eat lots of fruit and whole grains.  I started the plan off right on Monday morning with these hearty Buckwheat Pancakes smothered in Fresh Peach Puree and topped with Fresh Peach Slices.

This recipe makes 6 pancakes.  If you have leftover peach puree, as I did, refrigerate it for use in a smoothie for your snack during the day.  I am posting the recipe underneath which you will find all the other recipes posted to celebrate National Pancake Day.


Phase 1 Friendly Buckwheat Pancakes 
slightly adapted from The Fast Metabolism Diet Cookbook

1 c. buckwheat flour
1 t. cinnamon
1 egg white, beaten
1 c. rice milk
1 t. vanilla
1 t. agave nectar

For the Peach Puree

2 peaches, quartered
1 t. agave nectar
1/2 c. water

In small bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, egg white, rice milk, vanilla and agave just until combined.  Let rest for 5 minutes.  Preheat a griddle to 375* .  Pour pancake batter onto griddle making 6 pancakes (about 3 T. each) and cook until bottom is browned and top is starting to dry.  Flip and cook until other side is browned.

Cut one of the peach quarters into slices.  Place the remaining peaches, agave and water into a food processor or blender and puree until desired consistency.  Pour into a saucepan and heat through while pancakes are cooking.

Top each serving of pancakes with the puree and garnish with fresh peach slices.


More pancake ideas for this month's Foodie Extravaganza 





If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you’re a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.

23 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to try buckwheat a bit more but am always a little unsure; these sound good though, especially with the peach puree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really good Caroline. I expected them to be heavier than they were and I was pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  2. Interesting combo of buckwheat with peaches, must try it, never seen rice milk here Wendy, must research on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can find it here in the dairy aisle but also in the dry goods aisle. If you have soy and/or almond milk it should be near them.

      Delete
  3. Looks Good Wendy!! I love fresh peaches!! I also wanted to thank you for liking my FB page!! You helped me reach a milestone of 4000 likes!! Yea!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Elaine. I am glad that I could help you reach this goal.

      Delete
  4. Yumm!! That topping looks delicious for those hearty and healthy pancakes. Great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peaches and pancakes - be still my heart! We have a late season peach tree that is just about ripe, so this recipe comes just in time! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Vickie. I planted a peach tree last year, now we are moving before it will ever bear fruit.

      Delete
    2. Nuts! Well, at least someone will enjoy it! We left some wonderful fruit trees at our last home also. I am certain we will never enjoy naval oranges as much as the ones we had on our previous tree, but we keep hoping!

      Delete
  6. I'll bet the peaches and buckwheat go fabulously together. I haven't used much buckwheat and now I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tasted anything 'buckwheat'. The more I read your blog the more I think I have led a very sheltered life when it comes to eating. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were raised during a time when white flour was newly developed and nobody used anything else, now we are going back to the grains used before processed wheat.

      Delete
  8. You can never go wrong with peaches and pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peaches are one of my favorite things. These sound really great. Tell me about this Healthy Metabolism Diet please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted about it at the beginning of my journey at http://adayinthelifeonthefarm.blogspot.com/2016/07/the-fast-metabolism-diet-and-weekly-menu.html and have talked about it numerous times a week since then so you can check my archives. I am also blogging about it over at my other blog http://adayinthelifeonmyquestforfitness.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  10. I love that you used buckwheat flour! These pair so nicely with the peaches. Great pick for the event!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never worked with buckwheat flour before, need to give it a try. So glad your diet plan is so versatile!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.