However you pronounce it......
However you season it.....
Whatever color lentils you use.....
Whether you use white rice or brown rice.....
You always get great results with this delicious dish of Lentils and Rice that originated in the Middle East. It is one of my favorite things to order when eating out and it makes a perfect Meatless Monday meal and is also wonderful as a side dish for Shwarma Chicken or Shish Kebab.
So when the folks over at Sunday Supper Movement told us that it was World Vegetarian Day this was the first dish that popped into my mind. I could easily and happily be a vegetarian if I got to eat like this every day. Well, not really, but I could go meatless more often than just on Mondays LOL.
There are as many different recipes for this dish as there are spellings and pronunciations but the bottom line is that you want to have caramelized and crispy onions, lentils, rice and some traditional Middle Eastern seasonings.
I never make mine the same way twice. This time I used red onions but I have used yellow, white and sweet onions too. I had some leftover brown rice but have used white long grain and basmati rice before. Sometimes leftover, sometimes cooked along with the onions and lentils. I used brown lentils this time and precooked them as I was using leftover rice. You can use precooked lentils as well. Season with garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne, cinnamon or any other seasonings you love. Use a little or a lot....it is up to you. This is one of those recipes that you can't ruin and you can easily make your own according to your tastes and what's available in your pantry and fridge. Enjoy!!
1 c. lentils, cooked per package directions
1/4 c. olive oil
1 lg. red onion, sliced thin
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 t. cumin
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1 c. brown rice, cooked per package directions
1/2 c. vegetable broth
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med heat. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring for 15-20 minutes, until softened and caramelized. Add the lentils, rice, cumin, cayenne and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Print Recipe
More Great Vegetable RecipesAppetizers
- Citrus Marinated Olives by Cricket’s Confections
- Goat Cheese and Red Onion Quesadilla by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Green Tomato and Mozzarella Salad by Monica’s Table
- Italian Lupini Beans by She Loves Biscotti
- Orange Ginger Carrot Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Orange Beet Cake by Baking Sense
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Make Your Children Eat Their Vegetables…in a Cupcake! by The Ninja Baker
- Zucchini Blueberry Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
- Butternut Squash Zoodles with Fried Sage Sauce by Home Sweet Homestead
- Caprese Stuffed Roasted Eggplant by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Cauliflower Cake by Food Lust People Love
- Chipotle Tofu Tacos with Plantain by Caroline’s Cooking
- Glazed Carrot and Quinoa Salad with Crispy Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Green Goddess Mac and Cheese by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mujaddara by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Penne-Wise Pumpkin Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Pumpkin Gnocchi and Spinach with Sage Brown Butter Sauce by The Redhead Baker
- Radical Reuben Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Delicata Squash with Sriracha Aioli by The Hungry Goddess
- Roasted Vegetable Casserole by A Mind "Full"Mom
- Spicy Tofu and Rice Stir Fry by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Strawberry Soba Noodle Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Spinach by Cooking Chat
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Veggie Riggies: A Rigatoni Sauté by Hardly A Goddess
- Caramelized Onions and Cauliflower by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh with Chickpeas by Simple and Savory
- Cheesy Broccoli Cauliflower Rice by My Life Cookbook
- Locro de Papa (Ecuadorian Potato Soup) by Curious Cuisiniere
- South African Yellow Rice by What Smells So Good?
- Spiralized Sweet Potato and Apple Sauté with Dates by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Turmeric Hummus Casserole by Dizzy Busy and Hungry