Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Black Bean Salsa for #CrazyIngredientChallenge

Time for Crazy Ingredient Challenge, the fun little cooking challenge that happens on the 20th of each month.  At the end of the month prior we all vote on ingredients and the top vote from each list wins.  This month, the ingredients we got to work with were black beans and mayonnaise.

I tossed around a lot of ideas:  soup, quesadillas, salad, enchiladas but it came down to a matter of timing.  I got busy with packing, closing on houses, celebrating our grand-daughter's birthday, going out of town, etc. and lost track of time.  The next thing I knew it was September 19th and I needed to make a dish fast.  I decided on a black bean salsa that we could snack on before dinner.


Just because this recipe is fast and easy doesn't mean it is not good.  In fact, it just jumped into the perfect recipe category...easy, peasy and delicious.  It is even more perfect because you can make it with whatever ingredients you have on hand.  I added some tomatoes, onions and jalapenos. This recipe is perfect for the Fast Metabolism Diet during Phase 3.  Of course, I am on Phase 1 right now but I made an exception for this yummy salsa. I served it up with brown rice crackers.  It's a keeper.

Black Bean Salsa

1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 T. diced onions
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 c. mayonnaise ( I used safflower mayo for FMD)
Juice from 1/2 a lime
dash of cayenne pepper
salt to taste
1/4 t. cumin

Place beans, onion, tomato  and jalapeno in a bowl.  Whisk together the mayo, lime juice, cayenne, salt and cumin.  Pour over the bean mixture and toss to coat.  Print Recipe


5 comments:

  1. Nice, simple recipe. I have some leftover black beans from the batch that I cooked. I think I will whip this up to go with lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always up for a good salsa. And the dash of cumin probably makes it just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love this for my afternoon snack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it as an evening snack last night while watching Hell's Kitchen.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.