Thursday, September 15, 2016

Chocolate Beet Bundt Cake #BundtBakers

Today, Andrea of Adventures In All Things Food, challenged us to create a Bundt Cake "using a healthy cheat, sneak or substitute".  My first thought, of course, went straight to zucchini.  I use zucchini a lot in my baking this time of year but I really wanted to do something different for this challenge.  I also have used applesauce in place of sugar but that has become a pretty regular cheat for many of us and I didn't want to bore you to tears with this post.



I remembered a recipe I had seen for black bean brownies and was considering something like that and then I came across a recipe for Chocolate Beet Cake from Nordicware.  I had a memorial get together for my cousin's wife to attend and wanted to bring a dessert.  This was the perfect answer and I had all the ingredients on hand.


It goes into the pan this beautiful magenta.


It bakes decadent and dark.


Let it cool completely on a rack.


Place onto a serving plate and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar.


It traveled very well.
I set it on the buffet and cut some into slices.


It was moist and had a very tender crumb.
No one would ever be able to tell that it contained beets.

Chocolate Beet Cake
adapted from Nordicware

2/3 c. chocolate chips
1 c. butter, divided
1 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
2 c. pureed beets
1 t. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
Confectioners sugar

Melt the chocolate and 1/4 c.butter over low heat in a small saucepan, set aside.  In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream remaining butter with the sugar.  Add the eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated.  Add the flour, baking soda and salt, mixing completely. Turn the speed to medium low and stir in the pureed beets, chocolate mixture and vanilla.  Blend thoroughly and then turn into a bundt pan that has been treated liberally with baking spray.  Bake in a preheated 375* oven for 45-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.  Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.  Turn the bundt cake out of the pan onto the rack and let cool completely before placing on a serving platter and sprinkling liberally with powdered sugar.  Print Recipe

More Healthy Cheats


BundtBakers



#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

16 comments:

  1. I've had the chocolate beet cake on my radar for awhile but haven't had fresh beets to play with - love the sneaky addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks just amazing. It must be crazy moist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beets didn't add any flavor but they surely did add moistness.

      Delete
  3. This looks wonderfully decadent, without all that sugar in it. YUMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that awesome color of your Bundt... So healthy, and nobody gets to know....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a huge fan of anything you can sneak beets into! I've never understood why so many people despise them…I think they're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought I hated beets because my Pops hated beets. Then, about 10 years ago, I tried them and now I can't get enough of them.

      Delete
  6. I definitely can't wait to try this cake, Wendy. We love beets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to make a chocolate beet cake, I think I'll try this one. It looks absolutely yummy.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.