Friday, September 9, 2016

Mango Madness Margarita and The Weekly Menu

The other day we were having our friends, John and Kirsten, over for dinner.  Kirsten's mom, Caroline, and Kirsten's twin, Katrina were in town.  We are family so we couldn't let them be in town and not spend time with them.

John and Kirsten love going to a local restaurant, Catch 22, as do we and we often go together after Mass or during the week when they get home from a long day at work.  The food at Catch is wonderful but John and Kirs love, love, love the Mango Margaritas that they serve.


Frank, bartender extraordinaire, decided that he was going to make some for the gang when they came for dinner.  Frank had just bought me a vitamix for my birthday so making frozen drinks has just become very easy around here.  Our old blender did not have the strength to puree the ice and ingredients together so nicely.


He prepped everything ahead of time.  He borrowed a tip from Ree of The Pioneer Woman and rimmed the glasses with a mixture of sugar and lime zest. He also used her tip about using canned mangoes....I never even knew there was such a thing!!


When our guests arrived all Frank needed to do was fill the blender to the top with ice and let it puree away.  Kirsten took a drink and said "Oh, mango", she took another sip and proclaimed "These are better than Catch 22 and they had the best".  Oh yeah.......Frank rocked the house.  He ended up making a second pitcher full and it disappeared as quickly as the first.

Mango Madness Margaritas
created by Frank with some help from The Pioneer Woman


zest and juice of 1 lime
1/4 c. sugar 
3 (15 oz) cans mango, drained
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. tequila
1 1/2 c. triple sec
Ice

Combine the lime zest and 1/4 c. sugar and place on a plate.  Rub a slice of the lime around the rim of 8 glasses and then dip the rim into the sugar mixture to coat.  Set aside.

Place the mangoes, sugar, tequila, triple sec and juice from the remaining lime in the pitcher of a blender.  Fill the blender to the top with ice.  Seal and puree until thick and smooth.  Pour into the glasses and serve.

We did a lot of entertaining last week and choir started up again.  Those hazy, crazy, lazy days of summer are at an end. Life will be busy now until after the Holidays so I better get my self geared up.

This afternoon we are heading over to take care of Angel Face while Tingting works after which we are invited to Frank's cousin's house for a Wine Tasting.

Tomorrow we will be going over to celebrate Frank's brother's birthday.

Sunday we are hosting a Soup Swap.  I will be telling you more about that during the week.

Monday, I have to call and see if I have to serve on jury duty.  I am hoping not, mostly because we are closing on the sale of this house and on the purchase of the new house this week and don't want to be tied up during the day.

Thursday is choir practice and then Friday we are leaving for the weekend to go to an air show on the west side of the State. We will leave in the morning unless I am stuck in jury duty, in which case we will leave as soon as we are able.

So here is the Weekly Menu....Don't forget to stop back by to hear all about our soup swap and find out if I had to fulfill my civic duty.

Saturday
Dinner at Dan's party

Sunday
Soup Swap

Meatless Monday
Mujaddara

Tuesday
Stuffed Sole
Steamed Asparagus
Acorn Squash

Wednesday
Beef Roast
Roasted Root Vegetables

Thursday
Meatloaf
Green Beans
Carrots

Friday 
Out of town for the Weekend


2 comments:

  1. Jury duty!!! Egads. Will they let you out of it because of the closing. I think that would fall into an acceptable excuse! These cocktails sound divine. I have never heard of canned mango. I'm not really fond of fresh mango!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so but won't even know if I have to show up at all until Monday afternoon when I call. I guess if I have to go in on Tuesday, I will explain the situation and hope for the best. I hadn't heard of canned mangoes either but they sure made a good margarita.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.