Thursday, February 19, 2015

Chocolate Strawberry Pound Cake for #Bundt Bakers

It is time for #BundtBakers once again and our theme for this month is Chocolate! Our host this month is Tanya of Desserts Talking or perhaps it is Dessert Stalking....whatever it is it is Delicious!! Tanya invites other bloggers to submit desssert recipes onto her blog which means there are A LOT of desserts!!



The rules this month could not be simpler:

Chocolate in all its forms. Chocolate candy, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, cocoa, bittersweet, semi-sweet, white chocolate. If cocoa beans, cocoa butter or cocoa solids are involved, it's fair game for a Bundt.
I am so looking forward to seeing what everyone baked for us this month.  You will find links to their bundt cakes at the bottom of this post.

Those of you who follow me know that I have challenged myself to use every one of my cookbooks from my vast collection at least once this year.  Many years ago we were on a trip to Hershey, PA, the birthplace of Hershey Chocolate, and I bought a cookbook called "Hershey's Classic Recipes".

Image result for hershey's classic recipes 

The recipe I used for today's post is adapted from this cookbook.  The recipe is called Chocolate Raspberry Pound Cake and called for Raspberry Preserves and Frozen Raspberries.  I didn't have Raspberry Preserves, but I did have Strawberry Preserves that I bought last year from a local farmer's market.  I used fresh strawberries for the puree and I whipped my own cream instead of using non dairy whipped topping.

I was attracted to this recipe because it is easy peasy.  You throw everything into one bowl and mix it up.  Then you turn it into the pan and bake it.  How easy is that??


Mix everything together in one bowl and pour it into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350* for 50-60 minutes.
Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.


Turn onto a cooling rack.


While still warm, brush with melted strawberry preserves.


Let cool completely.


Make strawberry puree and strain through a fine mesh sieve.


Whip cream with sugar and amaretto.
Add strawberry puree to the whipped cream and fill cavity of cake.
Garnish with reserved strawberries.


Chocolate Strawberry Pound Cake
adapeted from Hershey's Classic Recipes

1 c. strawberry preserves, divided
2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. baking cocoa
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2/3 c. buttere, softened
1 (16 oz) dairy sour cream
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla

Heat oven to 350*.  Spray bundt pan with baking spray.

Place 3/4 c. strawberry preserves in a 2 c. glass measuring cup and microwave for 30-45 seconds, until melted.  Set aside to cool.

Stir together dry ingredients in large bowl of stand mixer.  Add butter, sour cream, eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for a few minutes, until well blended.  Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes.  Place remaining 1/4 c. preserves in a small microwave safe bowl and micorwave on high for 30 seconds or until melted.  

Turn cake onto a cooling rack and poke holes into the cake with the skewer used to test it.  Brush the melted preserves over the cake.  Allow to cool completely.  Transfer to a serving platter.

Strawberry Cream

1 qt. Strawberries, hulled with some set aside for garnish
1/2 pint heavy cream
1 T. powdered sugar
2  T. Amaretto Liqueur

Puree hulled strawberries in a food processor.  Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a small bowl. Refrigerate.

Place heavy cream in small bowl of stand mixer.  Using whisk attachment beat until it starts to thicken.  Add sugar and amaretto, whisk until light and fluffy.  Fold in pureed strawberries.

Fill cavity of cake with the Strawberry Cream.  Garnish with reserved strawberries.  Print Recipe

BundtBakers

#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on the BundtBakers home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

Here are February's Chocolate themed Bundt Bakers:

36 comments:

  1. Sounds so good! I love how shiny and moist the strawberry preserves make the cake look when they're brushed on like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very pretty cake for sure.....would be perfect to serve for company.

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of using jam to glaze the bundt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have that cookbook!! :) What a delicious looking cake this is Wendy - love that it's brushed with the strawberry preserves... and that whipped cream on top? I think I could just eat a bowl of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whipped cream was definitely the crowning glory, Rebekah.

      Delete
  4. You brought me a dash of spring. Lovely cake, I like using old cookbooks and adapting the recipes from there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bundt is gorgeous from start to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Wendy, your cake is beautiful. The topping makes is extra pretty...love the fresh berries. This and a cup of tea would be perfect to me. xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine, I had mine with a glass of milk but tea would be good as well.

      Delete
  7. Raspberries are my favorite fruit, but I can't blame you for going the strawberry route - especially with Valentine's Day. Beautiful bundt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like raspberries and chocolate very much but using strawberries saved me a trip to the store LOL

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous Bundt cake, love the combination of chocolate and strawberry! Best wishes from Spain - Lara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh hello Chocolate and Strawberry Pound cake! You make my heart melt! Can we go on a date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to go on a date with you Ansh....but I got all eaten away, Love Chocolate Strawberry Pound Cake

      Delete
  10. Oh yum, yum, dillyicious! It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your challenge and should take it up myself, Wendy, although I have so many cookbooks that it might take me several years to bake even one recipe from each. I got so many new ones for Christmas and my birthday that I haven't even STARTED to bookmark recipes. Can you say cookbook junkie? I love that your Hershey's cake is filled with flavored cream! What a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy....I know what it is like to fight that addiction. I bought another cookbook while I was on vacation last week LOL

      Delete
  12. Just read your story... love the way, you keep yourself strong...learned a lesson.. Your Bundt Cake,looks so perfect.. Congratulations for your Grandchild..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Bundt! I love the mixture of flavors and I hope you don't mind me using your idea about the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all Anna. I am sure it was not an original idea LOL. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  14. Chocolate and strawberries are great!!! I love them!!! Your bundt is magnificent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delicious!!! Great combination!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm trying to use my cookbooks more too! I like the idea of fresh strawberries in the cake as well as strawberry preserves, it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the look of this! I'll try this next time I have some preserves on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing post. I would like to add more that monginis provide chocolate strawberry cake online in India. For more details please visit http://www.monginis.net/strawberry-cakes/

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.