Monday, February 16, 2015

Monday Meal from Cook's Companion...Kinda

We did not have Meatless Monday today. We will be meatless on Wednesday since it is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, and we will be fasting and abstaining from meat.  We will then abstain from meat each Friday during Lent and we will fast and abstain on Good Friday before our Easter Feast.

I am still working my way through my cookbook collection.  Today I pulled out some pork chops and then I grabbed today's cookbook, Cook's Companion, and looked to see what I could find.

Image result for cook's companion by carole elements

My dinner tonight was based on one found in this cookbook with quite a few adaptations.  The original recipe called for peeled baking potatoes, I used unpeeled redskins.  Instead of Sweet Potatoes, I used Squash.  Instead of apple juice, I used cranberry juice and instead of vegetable oil, I used coconut oil.  


Layer the potatoes, squash and apples.
Season with salt and pepper.
Cover with juice and bake, covered, for 40 minutes.


Dredge the chops with seasoned flour.
Brown on both sides in coconut oil.
Place browned chops on top of vegetables and bake, uncovered, for another 30 minutes.

Pork Chops with Apple, Potato and Squash
adapted from Cook's Companion

12 oz. Cranberry Juice
3 med. red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2" slices
1 small acorn squash, peeled and cut into 1/2" slices
3 small apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2" slices
8 boneless, pork loin chops, 1" thick
salt and pepper to taste
2 T. flour
1 T. coconut oil

Place juice in small saucepan and bring to boil.  Spray a 9x13" baking pan with cooking spray. Layer the potatoes, squash and apples in rows in the prepared baking pan.  Season with salt and pepper. Pour hot juice over vegetables, cover baking dish and bake at 350* for 40 minutes.  

Meanwhile, dredge pork chops in seasoned flour and brown in coconut oil over med high heat until both sides are golden brown.  

Uncover the baking dish.  Place the pork chops on top of the vegetables and return to oven, uncovered, for another 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, pork is cooked through and most of the liquid is absorbed.  Print Recipe


4 comments:

  1. Delicious! I have pork chops thawed at home that need a recipe to go with them for dinner tonight... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so hard to believe that we are getting close to Easter

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.