Wednesday, June 25, 2014

I Scream, You Scream, We all Scream, For Ice Cream

Today is One Word Wednesday hosted by my friend Lisa over at My Sweet Peanut.  Lisa, like many of us, is a caregiver to her husband and children and for the past year she has been a caregiver for her Mom who suffers from Alzheimer's disease.  Through this wonderful place known as blogland, many of us who have found ourselves thrust into the role of caregiver for our parents or spouses or children who can no longer care for themselves, have gotten together and offer each other support, strength and understanding.

One of the things that we have found that helps us is talking about our challenges, struggles, conquests, successes, hopes, desires, anger and bitterness.  All those feelings that we bury down deep inside because we NEVER want our loved ones to feel as if they are a burden to us.

One Word Wednesday is one of those places that we can share and vent....each Wednesday Lisa gives us a word or topic and we talk about what that topic brings to mind, knowing that the others will support us, laugh with us, cry with us and NEVER, EVER judge us.  Please join us.  You don't have to be a caregiver though you probably are in some capacity.  You don't have to write about your caregiving journey.  You can write about anything that speaks to you when you read the topic.....and today's topic is ICE CREAM.

I read the topic this morning before I left for my visit with Mom so, with that in mind, when I got to the Memory Care Center, I gathered Mom up and took her for some ice cream.



Mom loves nuts so we got her a scoop of Butter Pecan on a cone.
First she tasted it.


And then she got serious about it!!!


She appeared to enjoy it very much.

As we ate our ice cream Mom started asking me questions (repeatedly but that's ok).  Mom likes asking questions but doesn't like to be asked questions because it reminds her that she cannot remember.  She has taken to saying "I have no brain".  Much of today was spent reassuring her that just because she forgets things does not mean she is stupid.  I reminded her how very smart she is and how well she does in the trivia games at the Center.

I am not sure who Mom thought I was today.  We had this conversation numerous times while we were on our outing.

"So, do you live around here?"
" I live about 10 minutes away"
"Oh, when did you move here?"
" About 15 yrs ago"
"What made you move here?"
"When I would visit my parents we would drive by the house and always admire it so when it went up for sale we bought it"
"Oh so your parents live near here"
" My Mom does but my Pops died a few years ago"
"Do you work?"
" No, I retired"
"So what do you do now?"
" Well, I was taking care of my parents but now my Mom moved into an apartment so I am just taking care of myself now"
"Oh, that's nice....Do you live near here?"

Mom and I are just gonna keep on Thriving at Home.

  Stop by Thrive at Home Thursday for other Thriving at Home ideas.






5 comments:

  1. I was about 12 if memory serves me. Mom and I went to Cunninghams Drug Store in Mt. Clemens to get a chocolate malt, which was my favorite thing to eat or drink. The waitress brought us 2 malts at the counter. Mom kept moving mine back from the edge warning me to be careful about spilling it. Three or four reprimands and sure enough she knocked hers over while trying to move mine. WLOAO. Mom had a great sense of humor and wasn't afraid to laugh at herself. I never loved her more at that moment and I still love her.
    Thanks Wendy and Frank for taking such good care of her.
    I love you guys.
    Larnzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful story Larnz....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best pictures EVER!!! Mom and I have the same conversations every day. Today it was about her pants...my kids rolled their eyes and left the room, but I am a trooper and we went round and round! BTW - my mom's second fave is butter pecan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a good day Lisa, thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I wanted to mention that, just for fun, I will sometimes change up the answers to see if she notices. She never does but it helps me cope with the monotony LOL>

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.