Monday, June 23, 2014

Secret Recipe Club-Cheese and Spring Onion Scones

I am so excited about participating in the Secret Recipe Club again this month.  It is like Secret Santa all year long.  Each month you are assigned a fellow members blog without them knowing it and someone is assigned your blog but you don't know who.  The mission is to try a recipe found on the blog you are assigned and make it, photograph it, blog about it and share it on an assigned reveal day.  It is a lot of fun, especially if your are a food nerd like me LOL.  You can learn all about the Secret Recipe Club here.

This month I was assigned Karen of Lavender and Loveage.  Karen was born in South Africa, was raised in England, traveled extensively and now divides her time between England and France.  I was happy to learn that Karen and I have the same love and dedication to cooking and buying local and organic and eating seasonally whenever possible.  Karen's family raised their own food and preserved their own food and Karen is carrying on the tradition.....a woman after my own heart.

When I went to Karen's recipe page I was thrilled to see that you could search for recipes by month.  Since I now knew that Karen liked to eat seasonally and locally and since our weather here in Michigan is not that different from that in England I punched in the month of June from last year and went to town!!  I was in heaven...the very first post I opened was dated June 3rd, 2013 and the title was Thrifty and Organic Meal Planning.  I mean, what else could a person ask for in life....all the things I strive for set out for me on a silver platter and that was only the first post that I opened!!  I continued looking through the entire month's worth of recipes and wow, there was so much from which to choose.  I was very tempted by all the goodies Karen offered like No Bake Chocolate Peppermint Squares or several different Layer Cakes from another club to which she belongs.  There were also a couple of salad recipes that intrigued me but when push came to shove I went back to that very first post that I opened and decided on the Cheese and Spring Onion Scones because Scones speak to me of England and I have never tried making them before.



The first thing I had to do was convert the recipe into US measurements.  I googled it and found several different sites that offer help with this.  I also did not have self rising flour so I used all purpose flour and added some baking powder. I used regular old dry mustard because I didn't have any English mustard powder and I substituted mexican blend cheese for the Red Leicester cheese, because that was what I had on hand.

I am happy to share my adaptation of Karen's delicious recipe.  They turned out light, fluffy and delicious.  This is a recipe I am sure to visit again and again.  They were delicious for breakfast and I can't wait to try them with soup or stew.


They go together very quickly.


In less than 20 minutes you have beautiful, golden scones to serve your family and guests.


Cheese and Spring Onion Scones
adapted from Lavender and Lovage

1.5 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. dry mustard
4 T. butter
3/4 c. shredded cheese (I used Mexican Blend)
6 spring onions, finely chopped
1 lge egg mixed with 4 T. milk

Preheat oven to 400*.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Cut in butter until the mixture looks like fine bread crumbs. (I used my food processor and then transferred the mixture to a large bowl).

Stir in the cheese and chopped onion.

Add most of the egg and milk mixture, gradually, until you have a soft dough.  I let my hands take over the mixing towards the end.

Turn onto a cutting board and pat into a round, approx. 1" thick.  Cut into eighths and transfer to the baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining egg mixture.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, until risen and golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack.  Print Recipe





32 comments:

  1. THANKS so much for you WONDERFUL comments and write-up and also LOOK at those scones, they look awesome and they rose SO high too! SO pleased that you liked my recipes and also my month by month search facility too - it has been a pleasure meeting you through the SRC! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed your blog Karen and am so glad that we are together in group D.

      Delete
  2. Great job! I think savory scones are much more interesting than sweet ones, and these flavors are spectacular!

    I got her blog a year or so ago, and loved it, in fact I am now a constant reader of her site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally, I really did enjoy her blog and I am very glad you stopped by to offer encouragement.

      Delete
  3. I love savory scones, and these look fantastic. What a great pick this month. I'm definitely making them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will enjoy them as much as we did Susan and they were easy peasy....right up my alley.

      Delete
  4. Savory scones are perfect with a bowl of soup. These sound great! Awesome pick this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love eating seasonally since I have a huge garden. Right now I have TONS of chives which I think would be a perfect sub for the spring onions... these scones sound awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love chives, especially in my eggs and my hens are laying like crazy right now!!

      Delete
  6. You made a perfect job with the scones. Karen is an excellent cook and baker and you must be too as your conversions worked so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness what a fun recipe for scones! I always make a sweet scone but now I'm thinking a savory kind is just the ticket! Fabulous SRC pick! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love savory scones. Those sound so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love spring onions and I love scones. Great combination of flavors here!
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love scones. Normally I go for the sweet ones - cinnamon or berry but these cheese ones sound wonderful! Happy Reveal Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were Emily, try them one day when you are looking for an accompaniment for soup or salad.

      Delete
  11. Scones look wonderful and love they are a savoury version. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Asiya and thank you for being so welcoming of me to SRC.

      Delete
  12. Those are amazing looking scones. A cheese scone is one of life's most wonderful things - love them in the middle of winter with a bowl of soup :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. I am willing to wait for a few months before I try them again with that steaming cup of soup though....Summer still hasn't even really arrived yet here in MIchigan....not sure it ever will LOL

      Delete
  13. This is an amazing looking recipe! Great pick this month. Putting this on my try it list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very good, I don't think they will disappoint you,

      Delete
  14. Looks delicious! And I loved being assigned your blog this month! My family absolutely loved your cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen writes a beautiful blog and I've had the pleasure of meeting her in person! These scones look amazing! Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  16. SRC is a great group indeed and you got a winner assigned to you, so many great recipes. But just love the scones you made!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.