Friday, June 6, 2014

Making Shellfish and Feeling Less Selfish....

We finally, after 3 weeks of having it on the Weekly Menu for Fish Friday, had our Linguine with Clam Sauce and boy, was it good!!


A perfect Meal!!
Quick, Easy and Delicious!
Just one problem......Frank doesn't like Clams.
I made him Mushroom Raviolis.

Linguine with Clam Sauce

1/4 c. Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 t. crushed red pepper
4-5 Little Neck Clams Per Person, soaked in salt water and well scrubbed
2 cans chopped clams in juices, drained, with juices reserved
1 bottle clam juice
juice from half a lemon
1 lb. linguine, cooked according to package directions.
chopped parsley

Heat Olive Oil over med heat in large saucepan.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant and tender.  Add the reserved juices and bottled clam juice to pan along with juice from half a lemon and crushed red pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Add Little Neck Clams, cover and cook until clams open.  Discard any clams that fail to open. Add chopped Clams and warm through. 

Place Linguine into a large pasta bowl.  Pour Clam Sauce, including Little Neck Clams over Linguine. Garnish with chopped parsley.  Print Recipe

I had a rough day today....I went and signed the contract to move Mom into the Memory Care Unit at the Village of East Harbors.  The room we had looked at for her was no longer available but they had a shared room that was immediately available.  Mom is not interested in having a shared room because she believes she needs to have room for her husband when he comes home from the Service.  They do have an opening in a private room that should be ready midweek.  They are in the process of painting and replacing the carpet.  So we signed the contract and will be moving her in when it is ready.

I was feeling very guilty and very selfish and then this afternoon Mom asked (again) about going home.  I told her that I went today and rented an apartment for her.  She responded, "Oh good, I like it here and everything but I can't wait to get into my own place".  I think those words, coming out of my Mother's mouth, were actually just a little gift from God because, of course, 5 minutes later she was asking again about going home and was surprised when I told her she would be moving next week.  I am sure 2 minutes after that she promptly forgot again but the point is....she is not at all upset at the thought of moving.  That is truly a God send for me!!

Sharing this recipe and post by linking up with Inspiration Monday.  Come share what inspires you!!

5 comments:

  1. If you can't do it, you can't do it Wendy. You have to not feel selfish! You are doing what is good for you! She will be okay. But don't forget to install that nanny cam!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't Paula and we will be there often. I like the fact that we can come and go as we please, no visiting hours, no checking in with anyone. We have the code to enter any time of the day or night.

      Delete
    2. That sounds good. I don't want to scare you but you have to be super alert...especially when your mom won't be able to tell you what is going on. I have seen some hair-raising things in these places and found administrators with their heads stuck in the sand. But I know you will be vigilant. When we put my mom into a nursing home we divided up the days (my 3 brothers and me) and one of us was there everyday. We went at different times of the day and night even. Just to keep the workers on their toes and knowing that we were apt to show up at anytime. I don't know if it made any difference but that is how we did it

      Delete
    3. Yes, we will be hyper vigilant. There are many of us also and my good friends, John and Kirsten's, aunt was just admitted a week ago so they and their family will also be stopping in all the time. Double Whammy.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.