Friday, July 19, 2019

Blueberry Sourdough Coffee Cake #BlueberryWeek

Tender sourdough coffee cake studded with fresh blueberries and covered with a delicious crumbly topping.  Excellent for breakfast, dessert or anytime you want to relax and pamper yourself.


Today is the final day of Blueberry Week........

And boy, do we have a great finale in store for you, our readers!!

Image may contain: fruit and food


Family Around the Table and Christie from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures for hosting #BlueberryWeek. More than 20 top notch bloggers are sharing a variety of blueberry recipes from breakfast to dessert. Follow #BlueberryWeek on social media so you don't miss one delicious recipe.

Breakfast
Drinks
Dinner
Dessert
This has been an exciting event.  On Monday I shared dinner with a Grilled Chicken Salad topped with a Blueberry Vinaigrette.  Tuesday, I gave you the recipe for an amazing Blueberry Smash Cocktail and today I am sharing a breakfast/dessert.

Last month Sarah of Fantastical Sharing of Recipes posted an amazing sounding Sourdough Coffee Cake that I immediately printed out knowing that I wanted to make it.  When Blueberry Week was announced I decided to incorporate blueberries into that recipe and boy am I glad that I did!!!


I put fresh blueberries right in the batter itself, coating them in the dry ingredients so they wouldn't sink right to the bottom.  I also sprinkled some over the top of the cake with the crumble.


This cake was awesome.  We enjoyed it for dessert after our Grilled Chicken Salad and then had breakfast for the following morning.  Thank you for joining us this week as we shared Blueberry Recipes.  Tomorrow I have 3 exciting posts for you that you are not going to want to miss.  See you then.



#blueberries, #cake, #coffeecake, #desserts, #breakfast,
Breakfasts, Desserts, Cakes
American
Yield: 9 servings
Author:

Blueberry Sourdough Coffee Cake

prep time: 15 Mcook time: 35 Mtotal time: 50 M
Tender sourdough coffee cake studded with fresh blueberries and covered with a delicious crumbly topping. Excellent for breakfast, dessert or anytime you want to relax and pamper yourself.

ingredients:

  • 1 c. sourdough discard
  • 1/3 c. canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 c. flour
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 2 t. cinnamon, divided
  • 1 1/2 c. blueberries, divided
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 2 T. cold butter, diced
  • 1 T. flour

instructions:

How to cook Blueberry Sourdough Coffee Cake

  1. In a small bowl combine the sourdough discard, oil and egg. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon.  Add 1 cup of the blueberries and toss to coat.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir with a wooden spoon just until moistened.  
  3. Pour into a 9" square baking pan that has been treated with baking spray.
  4. Place the remaining teaspoon of cinnamon, brown sugar, cold butter and 1 Tablespoon of flour into a food processor.  Pulse a few times until pea sized crumbs form.  Sprinkle over the top of the batter.  Scatter the remaining blueberries over the top and bake in a preheated 350* oven for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found at Fantastical Sharing of Recipes.
Calories
285.77
Fat (grams)
11.48
Sat. Fat (grams)
2.44
Carbs (grams)
44.15
Fiber (grams)
1.40
Net carbs
42.75
Sugar (grams)
28.97
Protein (grams)
2.97
Sodium (milligrams)
214.65
Cholesterol (grams)
27.45
Created using The Recipes Generator




20 comments:

  1. Sourdough coffee cake?? With blueberries?? That sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flavors in your coffee cake, and it looks so very moist! I haven't had coffee cake in forever, but I can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love coffee cake and can't wait to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sourdough and that beautiful crust on your coffee cake! This sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This coffee cake looks absolutely fabulous! All those juicy blueberry pockets are calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely could have used a huge piece of this coffee cake this morning to go with my coffee! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so moist and delicious. And packed with blueberry flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How soon after feeding is it ok to use the sourdough for your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep mine in the refrigerator and feed it once a week, using the discard that I take out prior to feeding. I would think that anytime during the week would work. I would wait until it is bubbly, active and ready to be put back in the refrigerator before using it.

      Delete
  9. I just made this recipe and it was AMAZING! My husband loves it too. Followed the instructions exactly and it came out soooo delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a very gluten sensitive kiddo so I combined the starter and cup of flour and let it ferment overnight. That made it harder to mix the rest of the ingredients together but it was worth it. My little one was able to eat a piece without and gluten reaction. I also added an extra teaspoon of cinnamon because we LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you were able to adapt the recipe to fit your family's needs Beri.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for this recipe... it is my 9 year old’s favorite thing to make and he can now make it with only a little bit of help. He has been the hardest of my three kids to interest in cooking, but he likes to feed the sourdough, so this recipe was a natural to try. It’s in the oven right now - we tried raspberries this time! Thanks again....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that you have enjoyed this recipe. I think it's going to be amazing with raspberries Matt.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.