Thursday, June 26, 2014

Peanut Butter and Jelly...That's what we like in our Belly!!

Kirsten and John were out of town last week for their granddaughter, Sarah's, funeral.  How I wish I could have been there to hold their hands and give them hugs.  It was a very, very touching funeral.  You can read all about it here, as written by Sarah's mom, Amy, who is an amazing blogger.

Kirsten's birthday was Sunday, the day they returned home.  We were celebrating Frank's sister's birthday that day so we did not get to see Kirsten. We really wanted to be able to celebrate her birthday before we left on our cruise tomorrow so she and John are joining us for dinner tonight.

I found this very cool recipe for Peanut Butter and Jelly Cake in my Cuisine at Home magazine that I adapted for tonight's birthday cake.  They look like PBJ Sandwiches when you are done.

First, I made the "bread".  I was very thankful I have an oven in my basement because this took almost 2 hrs of baking time.  While the "bread" was cooling I made the "Jam" and the "Peanut Butter".


You bake the cake in loaf pans that have been buttered and sugared with Turbino sugar.


They took about 15 minutes longer to cook than the time called for in the recipe.
While the cake cooled I made the jam and peanut butter frosting for inside the "sandwiches"


I sliced the "bread" and then schmeared the peanut butter on one slice.


Added the Raspberry Jam.


Put the top slice on and Voila....Peanut Butter and Jelly, That's What we Like in our Belly!!


I needed 9 "Sandwiches" total for our dinner party.
I had about half a loaf left that went into the freezer.
I'll let you know what I decide to make out of that.

Peanut Butter Cake
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #81

Grease and sugar 2 loaf pans using 1 T. butter and Turbino Sugar. (Turbino sugar is a coarse baking sugar).  Preheat oven to 350*.

3 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. kosher salt
1 1/4 c. milk, I used 1%
2 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1 stick butter at room temperature
2 c. sugar
1 c. packed brown sugar
6 eggs, at room temperature

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in small bowl and set aside.  Combine milk and vanilla, set aside.  Cream peanut butter, butter and sugars in the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Beat at med high speed for 5 minutes, until very well combined, scraping sides as necessary.

Add the eggs to the creamed mixture, one at a time, beating well after each.  With the mixer on low speed alternate adding the flour mixture with the milk mixture just until mixed, scraping sides as needed.

Divide the batter between the loaf pans and bake for 50 minutes.  Sprinkle tops with additional Turbino sugar and continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes and then at 5 minute increments until a wooden skewer inserted in the center of each comes out clean.

Allow cakes to rest in pan on racks for 20 minutes before removing.  Then allow loafs to cool completely on the racks prior to attempting to slice into 1/2" thick slices with a serrated knife.

Raspberry Jam Spread

3 c. raspberries
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1 t. lemon juice

Combine raspberries, sugar and water in a saucepan over med low heat and simmer until the berries release their juices, about 20 minutes.  Remove 2 T. of the juice from the jam and whisk with 2 T. of cornstarch until smooth.  Add to the jam and cook until thickened, remove from heat, whisk in lemon juice and chill for at least 30 minutes.

Peanut Butter Frosting

3/4 c. creamy peanut butter
1 stick butter at room temperature
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1/4 c. millk
2 t. vanilla

Beat peanut butter and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fixed with a paddle attachment on med-high speed until light and fluffy.  Add sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth and creamy.

Assembly

Slice cake into 1/2" slices.  Spread Peanut Frosting and Jam onto one slice of cake.  Top with second slice of cake.  Enjoy  Print Recipe

I am sharing these cutie patooties on Wednesday Whatsits....stop by and see what others are sharing this week.

1 comment:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.