Thursday, June 19, 2014

May the Angels Lead him into Paradise

I have a friend, Michelle.  We have been friends since 7th grade.  She is one of those friends who when she lives near we see each other often and when she lives far, as she does now, we see each other occasionally and seldom talk in between.  But when we get back together it is as if no time has passed and we are right back in the middle of our friendship that has spanned through all these years.

My first husband and Michelle's first husband were also best friends in childhood and maintain their friendship to this day.  Michelle introduced me to my first husband.  We had children together and spent their young years together nearly daily.  Michelle has moved around quite a bit and after her husband died seven years ago she moved to Texas to be with her eldest daughter and grandchildren.

She has 2 sons who currently live here in Michigan, both have 2 children each.  When Michelle was in her 40's she and her husband adopted her twin great nieces. These daughters graduated high school this year and will be leaving for college in the fall.

Michelle is thinking of moving back to Michigan when they leave home.  This would make me happy.

Three days ago, the unthinkable happened.  Michelle's son, David, who is only in his early 30's suffered cardiac arrest.  He was at the hospital at the time of the heart attack for a breathing problem.  They performed CPR for 12 minutes.  They induced a coma to let his brain heal.  Michelle and the twins drove up.  Yesterday, the family was told that the next 24 hrs were critical and all the family should meet with the neurologist this morning.  Her eldest daughter, Jamie drove up with her husband and children.  This morning the family was told that there was severe brain damage and David will be unable to live without life support.  The family has made the decision to take David off of life support in the morning.  David's in laws are coming in from out of town.


David with his sons.

Michelle's whole family is staying with her ex husband and his wife.  I cannot imagine the pain and sadness parents must feel when losing a child.  I pray I never learn of it first hand.

There is so little you can do or say to help ease the pain they are having.  So you do what you can...There is a fund being collected for his funeral expenses and to help his wife and children get back on their feet (there was no insurance policy).  I donated to that. If you would like to help this family you can donate by going here. They have numerous family members from all over gathering at two different locations so I am taking some food over to try to help in some little way.

Hence, the Weekly Menu, once again is changed for tonight.  I am making some BBQ Ribs, Macaroni and Tuna Salad and Broccoli Salad to take over to Michelle's family so we will be having that for dinner this evening also.  I know it is not much but I hope it helps them to know that they are in our thoughts and prayers and that we love them and are here for them.


I gathered together what I needed for the Macaroni and Tuna Salad while the Ribs were Cooking.


It only took a few minutes to throw it together and put it in the refrigerator to chill.
I had gotten some Lemon Balm from my CSA today so I used some for garnish.
Then I did the same with the Broccoli Salad, while Frank made the sauce for the Ribs.

Macaroni and Tuna Salad

1 (16 oz) box macaroni, cooked per package directions, rinsed under cold water and drained
1 (12 oz) pkg frozen peas, defrosted
1/4 c. finely diced onion
1 c. shredded Colby Jack Cheese
1 stalk celery, diced
1 can or 2 pkgs. tuna packed in water, drained
1 c. Miracle Whip
1/4 c. Sweet Relish
Juice from 1/4 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

Place macaroni, peas, onion, cheese, celery and tuna in a large bowl.  Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine.  Pour over macaroni and toss well.  Chill before serving.  Print Recipe



4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry Wendy. That is so sad. It is always sad when one loses a child. I offer my prayers to the family and for you, her friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine losing a child. And seeing him with those beautiful babies just breaks my heart. I'm glad she has family and good friends to be with her. You're both on my prayer list. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.